Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Youth. Vanity. Keeping the frumpy away.

Went to the dentist today. Not one of my favorite activities - no need to expound on why. Just not something I enjoy. Yet I do it - naturally. It's a necessity.

When I am there, I am there for business. It's not a social call. To the dentist and her assistants, I don't really want to chat about my kids or what's new or what movies I've seen recently - we don't have that sort of relationship. The dental assistant commented on something not dental, and I mentioned that my doctor was aware of it. She persisted in offering advice, and I repeated, yes, my doctor is aware of it. (And thanks for your non-expert opinion, lady.)

Is it any wonder I hate going?

But that is beside the point. The bigger point, today, is my youth obsession. Must hold onto what I have - the grey hairs and the upcoming bifocals are reality, but I still look - and act - fairly youthful. All of those years of being carded in bars (til my late 20s - and last month!) and being denied access to R-rated films are paying off. I may have looked 12 at 17, but now I look 35 forever ...

To clarify, I am not youth obsessed, but merely cognizant. I do not want to look prematurely old or frumpy. Lucky for my girls, I am a fun mom, a cool mom - but not too fun or too cool. Because that gets me nowhere, really.

And lucky for me, there is literature to support me as I hold onto eternal youth. Sunday's Houston Chronicle is full of little gems; these bits of wisdom can help you look like a stunning woman rather than a fashionless grandmother - and those two words are not, in fact, mutually exclusive.

From Christian Dior:
• Avoid too much makeup
• Always wear earrings
• Don't forget, a bag is not a wastepaper basket
• Jewelry - I prefer the finest to the biggest. To wear a big diamond on your finger means only that you have a lot of money - it means nothing in elegance.
• Shoes - It is by her feet that you can judge whether a woman is elegant or not.
• A lot of woman today should go back to school again and learn the art of walking because it is extremely important.
• Anything you do, work or pleasure, you have to do it with zest.

Ten Things You Can Do To Take Off Ten Years:
• Pick pink for your pout - How about a lighter red?
• Arch your eyebrows upward - Done!
• Cover grey brow hairs with pencil and powder - lucky me, don't have this problem
• Slim down your eyeliner - OK
• Falsify a few eyelashes - Considering
• Don't outline your lips with dark liner - Done!
• Lighten up on the foundation and powder - Don't use foundation
• Unchain your reading glasses - Don't have any ... yet
• Lose the suit. Switch up the pieces instead - I don't even own an actual suit, though I have the separates
• Slip on heels or high-heeled boots - Wiggle room here - sometimes it's about comfort
• A skirt should hit right at the knee - too short or too long ruins the look - Done!

So the last one was a bonus. Bottom line? Fashion changes constantly, and you've got to keep up. You don't have to go nuts every year, but it's worth it to buy one amazing piece each season to work with what you have.

I'm working hard on keeping the dowdy look at bay. But not too hard, because really, I'm just lucky that way. As I said, all those years of looking too young are playing to my advantage. But it's nice to have a few tips to help me as I ease into my late 30s.

Or so I keep telling myself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah yes, youth. I never really think I look old until I look in the mirror after a sleepless night or too many beers. Then, it seems the wrinkles just pop off my face!

Good advice on fashion and makeup. I try to keep up with the trends but stop short at becoming a fashion victim. I think it's all about silhouette and making the most of your figure. I may be a little more dressed up than the college crowd I hang around with, but I would look ridiculous in some of their get-ups.

I read recently that the best lipstick a woman could wear is a light pink with gloss. It supposedly makes lips look fuller and more youthful. I admit to liking my red, but wear mostly a nudish-pink gloss during the day. Since my main audience is the cats, I'm going for moisture more than anything.

Women need to not only learn how to walk (especially in heels) but they also need to learn not to slouch! It makes you look heavier, lazy and tired. Stand up straight and walk with confidence!