Sunday, January 06, 2008

Customer service (or lack thereof)

I've become the customer everyone hates.

Why? Because I demand service. Proper service. And at the proper time.

Even worse, I am not hesitant to point it out.

I turned in a McDonald's employee I saw leaving the restroom without washing her hands (though I felt bad because she was crying as she left). I reported the rude flight attendant on United (got a voucher for United). And I complained about the salesclerk at Kohls (the manager didn't seem too concerned, frankly).

I should point out that I also recognize good customer service - our local post office gets a bad rap from people in my subdivision, but they have been nothing but courteous and accommodating when I've been there - which is a lot, by the way, especially the time before our house was completed and we were in temporary digs, as I had to pick up my mail every day. I think our area has just grown too fast and it's tough for them to keep up. But they deserve some credit for doing the best they can and always smiling when they're with me.

And I think rude customers should be held accountable, too; it is not right to mistreat the waitstaff or the sales help - they're just doing their job. In fact, we were such excellent customers at Balthazar in Manhattan that we scored a box of free dessert - though I doubt that had much to do with our excellent manners and more with our server's interest in one of our party - !

So I'm not really all that bad. And I don't complain every day. Even yesterday, when I had three slightly negative experiences. Though one isn't really customer service, but I'll tell it regardless.

No. 1: My mother-in-law sent the girls pre-paid VISA cards for Christmas. They tried to use them, and it turned out, we hadn't read the fine print: We needed to activate them. So I gave the girls cash and figured I could use them. Went online yesterday, and it turns out I am opening an account with this VISA company (the name escapes me). I now have three, preloaded, reloadable VISAs. They were purchased with a value of $25 and there was a $9.95 activation fee for each one! I cannot believe my MIL did that - did she not notice? Outrageous - it's like usury. I went ahead and activated them, so I now I have these three accounts. I'll get the cards in seven business days (for an additional $19.95 I could have had them overnight - !); as of Jan. 15 they will be assessed a $4.95 usage fee. Gasp - what was she thinking? My plan is to use them immediately and destroy them. But I had to open an entire account in order to use them, which irritates me - I do not need any more credit cards, thank you. I should say something to my MIL, but I hate to be critical, so I'm thinking about how to handle this so she doesn't get defensive. I know she just wanted to give the girls shopping options, but these cards are a major rip-off. Next time, I would suggest cash.

No. 2: This is the best one: Took Sylvia to Justice to return a Christmas gift. Justice is a less expensive, more appropriate version of Limited Too (ie, they don't sell thongs to 8-year-olds). Wow, is it pastel in there - Sylvia and her friends are completely smitten. Had to ask for help getting an item from a very tall rack, and the one employee was on the phone - had been for a while. When we went to check out, the girl on the phone summoned the other clerk without missing a beat in her conversation, which sounded personal to me ("Was it your Sprint or your other one? Uh huh.") Maddie and Sylvia's friend are both in line to make separate purchases, as are others, and this girl continues to talk. So I turned to the woman behind me and said, "It may be awhile - she's on the phone on a personal call." Keeping in mind it's been at least 15 minutes by now. The woman behind did not miss a beat - she asked the clerk, "Is she on a personal call?" The clerk said, "She's the assistant manager and she's talking to someone from another store. But she isn't allowed to use the register anyway." Excuse me? That makes no sense. The woman and I just shook our heads. The line gets longer; finally, by the time Maddie and Isabelle have checked out, the asst. manager finally says, "OK, I gotta go," (she is right at the counter, and we can all hear her) promptly opening the register (thought it wasn't allowed ...). When the woman behind me got up there, she very casually asked for the name of the store manager. I'm sure she'll get an earful.

No. 3: We can knock No Country for Old Men off the list - saw it last night and liked it - verrry suspenseful - I was on the edge of my seat! We were a few minutes into the movie when we realized the door to the theatre was open, letting in both light and noise - a great deal of noise. And no one seemed to notice - the corridor outside had employees but no one shut it. Finally, when you could hear the phone conversation coming in, nearly as loud as the movie, Gary got up and shut it. At primetime prices, I want to hear the movie, not someone outside on the phone.

See? I'm not really unreasonable. I just want what I'm entitled to. This year I am going to make a real effort to commend good service, not just complain about the bad. That way I can balance out the guilt I feel for reporting people.

Salesclerk of Houston: Consider yourself warned ...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahh yes, customer service. It is so lacking out there. I have this incredible story with the hotel shuttle when I flew back to Philly. I will have to tell you about it. He was awful. With regard to the airlines, I have lowered my expectations, so I won't be disappointed. And yes, there is always the bright spot: Balthazar!!