Saturday, January 12, 2008

Nothing like a Saturday at the mall ....

I know. Saturday at the mall. Grrr. Shiver.

But there's a catch: I had only one kid with me - it was almost delightful!

But I'm getting ahead of myself.

I have had such a productive week. I am so on top of things - at this point every single one of my Christmas decoration is stored away. Can you believe it? And it's only Jan. 12 - !

But I actually did get some stuff done. Made some appointments, cleaned up, tidied. Shopped. Already shared my success, as it were, of Stein-Mart. But then I hit the mall - alone, all by myself - and found sales at Ann Taylor AND Loft (my faves - you've heard it before) and Macy's. I am looking so hip these days. I did not go to the make-up counter, and I did not get new shoes (though I looked). Those purchases will wait til next week.

I've been on that elliptical every day this week. I cannot read on that thing (sad) so I have to either find a radio or TV program or listen to the iPod. I think I need to find more suitable workout music - I love all the tunes on there, naturally, but some of the jazz and the standards don't really motivate me to move the way they should. Dave Edmunds, Alex Chilton, the Clash, Queen, those make me move. Buddy Holly, even. But Frank and co., not so much.

I also picked up my passport renewal stuff and got my picture take - popped right into CVS on a whim. Took one look in the rearview mirror and figured, for a passport, I look just fine. And let me tell you, that photo is nearly glamorous. Nearly - it's a passport photo. But if you were to compare it to my old one, where I was about three months pregnant, still vomiting, it's got modeling potential.

Picked up copies of Law & Order Season 1 at the library - I am so missing Ben Stone I can hardly stand it! I need a fix.

So. Now we are at today. Where I cruised the mall with one child. Alison drove to a school meeting, Sylvia was playing with friends. So Gary, Maddie and I hit Target in search of an appropriate band concert uniform (black pants and white shirt - simple items, not to be purchased at trendy teen stores - explicit instructions from the band director). She recommended Target, where we actually found appropriate pants in the girls section, along with the requisite white shirt from the boys department. Score one.

Gary then dropped us at the mall so he could venture to Franklin Covey (um, no thanks - big snore). Maddie and I found appropriate black shoes and a sweater/camisole combination at American Eagle. We looked around, and even found Gary a birthday gift - which we successfully sneaked out to the car when he called to let us know he had arrived. Man, are we good. Stealth birthday gifts - we even kept him out of the trunk on the way home - I think a career in espionage awaits one of us.

Now we're trying to figure out how to get rid of the third kid tonight so we can go out - two girls are babysitting and third one is making plans with a friend. Must employ all available child psychology to encourage girls to go next door, not stay here.

Great day, great end awaiting. Maybe, if we play our cards rights. Wish me luck ...

No comments: