Sunday, January 27, 2008

Accepting that time is passing ...

I got our piano tuned. The girls are currently not taking lessons (though I keep encouraging them to take it up again - I can't deal with forcing them), so it doesn't really get played. But Maddie wanted me to practice her solo/ensemble piece with her. And I couldn't very well play the accompaniment on an out-of-tune instrument.

It's been to play a bit - I've hauled out all the old sheet music and had some fun. I've worked on the piece to play with Maddie, something by Handel. Basically, it's a bunch of chords. And I'm struggling. My public performance days are over. If they ever existed.

Though I played accompaniment for Alison a few years ago, and she got a 1. I warned the judge before she started to not listen too closely to me (!)

Last night we got dinner at a new little Cajun place. Yum. Then caught Michael Clayton, which is back in theatres. (And learned that movies at Rave are always cheap - it was not a fluke last time.) It was good, though not great. So now we have seen all the Academy Award-nominated films. For the first time since ... well, ever, I'm thinking. I'm trying to decide which one I would choose, then which one the Academy will choose. I am usually very bad at predicting. Gary, on the other hand, is very good; two years ago, he guessed every major category correctly.

Gary will be traveling this week, so I'll be single parenting. On the downside, I'll have no adult conversation at night before bed. On the upside, no fixing dinner every night. I'll be an optimist and look forward to my lack of time in the kitchen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed you still play the piano. I miss mine but we just don't have the room for it in our little house. Plus, I really don't have the time to play. Someday, I'll have it again and will resume playing as I always found it relaxing, even if I wasn't very good.

I've only seen No Country For Old Men, which I loved. I rarely go the the movies because the audience normally irritates me (guess I'm overly sensitive). However, I want to see all the movies on the list so maybe I'd better buck up and just go. Actually, I want to see I'm Not There which is playing at our local art theater so I'll probably try to catch it first.

Cindy said...

Once we get the piano tuned, I go full throttle, playing for a while. Then I get busy and move on. I do enjoy it, even though I'm v-e-r-y rusty.

We have tons of space - way more than we need - so the piano essentially has a dedicated room. Sound wasteful? It is, trust me. My next house should be smaller.