Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Everyone's a Critic

I may not write movie reviews for a living, but it doesn't mean I don't know what I like. And frankly, just a because a critic likes it doesn't mean it's great (re: My Dinner with Andre ... though perhaps I would feel differently if I watched it again - that can happen).

Keeping in mind that I have not seen every movie released in 2007, these are my favorites, in no particular order:

The Lives of Others - Fabulous German film about life behind the Berlin wall, working against the system, and relationships. Highly recommend.

Waitress - Quirky comedy about a woman in a miserable relationship who channels her energy into making pies with themes that relate to her hellish husband and unborn child. Great supporting cast; notable, too, for the death of the writer/director, Adrienne Shelly, who was murdered just as her film rose to prominence.

Sicko - I don't blame people who don't like Michael Moore - and there were a few horrific Moore-esque moments in this film - but I am, admittedly, not one of them - I think he's a riot (not to mention spot on). But the message - Americans deserve better, affordable health care - was hard to find fault with, even if you despise his tactics.

Atonement - Very good period piece - one of those British dramas, circa 1935, that you have to love watching: beautiful country estate, divine costumes, attractive people, great story. Heard the book is better. Not as good as the hype; not the best movie of the year. The "surprise" at the end is not one you can't predict. But good. And I'm not a big Keira Knightley fan.

Gone Baby Gone - Wow. Did not see that ending coming. Great acting, gritty story. Not an upper, but a great look at the other half. Underrated gem.

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street - Great film adaptation of the Broadway musical. Three reasons to see this film: Stephen Sondheim (who wrote Sweeney Todd); Johnny Depp (enough said); and Tim Burton - I generally like him, and often like the Burton/Depp collaborations. Plus Helena Bonham Carter, who is underrated. Be forewarned: It is bloody and gory. But it holds your attention just the same.

Juno - It's all about good writing, and this one had it. Maybe the dialogue is too clever, but it's a movie - do I really want to hear a conversation like I could have at home? Loved it. That Ellen Page was a riot - watch for her.

Movies I want to see (and will, just haven't gotten around to it):

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead - Hear it's great.

This Is England - Gritty English working-class youth in the 80s - I must see this!

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly - The reviews are amazing. I don't quite get it; hope it's not going to disappoint.

The Savages - Maybe I'll wait til it's on DVD and watch it with my brother ...

Michael Clayton - Not big on the corporate thriller, but it has George Clooney. And good writing. I'm in.

Superbad - Sophomoric, I know, but funny, all the same ...

Away From Her - I hear the performances are fabulous.

Margot at the Wedding - Even though it has that insufferable Nicole Kidman, I think it looks good. Jennifer Jason Leigh should redeem it.

Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story - Just sounds funny, and I love John C. Reilly.

Death at a Funeral - I'm always up for a good British comedy.

American Gangster - Denzel Washington - need I say more?

No Country for Old Men - The Coen Brothers are my favorite!

La Vie en Rose - For Marion Cotillard's performance, if not for the film itself, which I hear is mediocre.

Movies I will see, even though I'm not particularly excited:

There Will Be Blood - I know, I know: It's based on an Upton Sinclair novel. The reviews are good. It has Daniel Day Lewis. I'm not excited. But the reviews are good. And my husband wants to go.


Movies that were entertaining, if not the best of the year:


Enchanted - Cute Disney-ish film. Amy Adams is a delight. And we love scouting out the NYC locations.

No Reservations - Not great art, but entertaining enough. Don't like the Catherine Zeta Jones, but I like Aaron Eckhart.

Hairspray - I do love my Broadway.

Movies that inexplicably made other "best of" lists, but not mine:

The Namesake - It was OK, but the trailers were very misleading. And the ending was a dud - it just fizzled. Not worth the hype.

Movies I refuse to see:

Charlie Wilson's War - Because it took place here in Houston, I have had to read all about it. I've heard enough. The other reason? Julia Roberts. Ick.

Ocean's 13 - No thank you.

PS I Love You (or anything of that ilk) - I love a good romantic comedy. Key word is good; the previews totally give this one away as anything but.

License to Wed - Heard it is terrible. Too awful for words. Is Robin Williams that desperate for a paycheck? And Mandy Moore - we loved you in American Dreamz and Saved - don't stoop to this level!

Anything starring Diane Keaton - Has this woman lost her mind? This woman, Annie Hall, is turning out total crap. Makes me cringe.

Movie I caught on DVD just this year:

Junebug - Delightful. And a reminder that everyone's family - not just yours - has a certain level of crazy. And again, that Amy Adams is great.

Holding my breath for the Academy Awards ... they are totally political and mean very little, really (Reese Witherspoon over Felicity Huffman? Come on!). But I always get sucked in.

And frankly, I would match my list of the top films of the year against any critic. However, I am considering myself lucky - critics had to sit through PS I Love You, and I only had to watch the trailer to know that it was a klinker!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw No Country For Old Men and loved it! First, it has Tommy Lee Jones (who can do no wrong in my opinion), second it's a Coen Brothers movie, third Javier Bardem is an amazing actor. The end will completely throw you, and maybe even make you mad, but it's a wonderful movie.

Saw Superbad and it's very sophomoric, but very funny. I love Michael Cera so I had to see the movie. Thanks for the list - you have mentioned quite a few movies I've yet to see but obviously need to!

Cindy said...

A friend warned me that the ending can be very unsatisfactory, especially if you've read the book (I have not). Apparently all his books are that way. So now I'm curious.