Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Happy New Year!

2008. Wow.

The passage of time never ceases to amaze me - the speed at which it occurs is alarming. Part of me feels like a sophomore in high school, partying in a classmate's basement, while another part of me is celebrating the new year with my brand-new infant daughter. Or my third infant daughter in a foreign country.

None of these scenarios is the me of today - the most recent of those events is nine years old. The me of today rang in the new year with my husband and two of my three daughters at a neighbor's party (the eldest no longer finds us cool enough to party with), then went to another friend's for a New Year's Day open house, where we toasted the year's possibilities.

The possibilities overwhelm me - they are endless. The open house today confirmed that - we were with a very special group of our Houston friends, mostly church friends, and they are an amazing assortment of people. A list of their talents, education, and accomplishments would amaze you - it always does me. (Houston is too big, but in Peoria and Lafayette, places where I felt more connected, when I would glance through a list of movers and shakers in town, the number who went to my church was shocking. My editor always laughed about how many letter writers to the newspaper were people I knew from church.)

So today I was forced to confront the new year and deal with it head on. But I did so in the company of great friends, people whom I know will make a difference in 2008. It was a good feeling. A lot is set to happen this year - it's an election year, after all - but rather than dreading any of the changes in store, today, we were feeling optimistic, energized by the possibilities.

Plus David Letterman and Law & Order both return soon ... does it really get any better than that?!?

No comments: