Friday, January 04, 2008

Election Time

It's official: Mike Huckabee and Barack Obama are the frontrunners.

For now, anyway - this can all change in the weeks - well, days - ahead.

We tuned in to the Iowa Caucuses last night. It's fascinating - what does it mean, exactly, to caucus?!? Alison was asking for an explanation - I think the room divides into groups and you join the group for the candidate you support. Sounds more fun, and more social, than merely voting in a primary. I think we should all institute caucuses - great way to meet people.

But seriously ... we turned on CNN and watched pretty closely at first. Huckabee was declared the apparent winner very early on; the Democrats use a different system so it took longer. We took a break so I could read to Sylvia (From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, one of my childhood favorites) and Gary watched football. So it took a bit longer - after 9 - before we knew that Obama had been declared the winner for the Democrats. Joe Biden and Chris Dodd are both out.

But nothing is for sure. Remember Howard Dean?

With this news in, I am still undecided. I am attending a Hillary Hub today, though I'm not entirely sure she's the candidate I support. However, I can certainly work for a woman for president, so I am willing to give some time. My ideal candidate has no chance, the other candidate who intrigues me also has no chance. The candidate I see as a hidden gem has, sadly, little chance. Of the remaining candidates, I like John Edwards. And he is still in there.

I don't dislike any of them - I could support Obama (even with his lack of real experience - maybe good intentions and values are more important, and we're on the same page there) and I've already said, I could - and will - support Clinton. If any woman has the nerves of steel for the job, it's her.

I'm just glad I have 11 more months to watch and see. Though the candidates will be chosen long before then. In some ways, makes me long for Great Britain, where the candidates only campaign for a few weeks. But of course, you're not really voting for your candidate but for your party. And you stuck with the royal family. And no written constitution.

Maybe I'll stick with what I've got. Plus it makes for good reading over the next few months. Stay tuned ...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My sister and brother-in-law attended the caucuses last night and said it was very interesting. Ralph said she actually felt like she lived in a democracy! Apparently, if you're Republican you go in, sign a piece of paper for your choice and leave. On the Democrat side, you actually get into groups of your candidate. If your candidate doesn't have enough support, you have to choose another and move to their group. All people are counted by hand, which I find interesting in this computer age.

Anonymous said...

I lived in Iowa during the 2004 campaign and participated in the caucus. It is exactly as explained. You form into groups and if there isn't enough support for your candidate you "caucus" with the other groups and pick one. It really is fascinating. It is not a secret ballot, though, so you are right out there with your choice. Great experience.

Cindy said...

Now I want to caucus more than ever - it's so much more than just voting! So my long-term goal now is to live in Iowa just long enough to caucus during the primaries (!)