Monday, January 14, 2008

A Difference of Opinion

I mentioned, casually, that I had no intention of seeing The Bucket List.

Be quiet about it, Gary said. G and S (neighbors and colleagues of Gary) said they want to see it.

So, I mused, just because we have a difference of opinion, I have to keep quiet about what I like? Or don't?

Saying I don't like a movie, or a book, or a play, isn't a judgment against someone; it's not an indictment of their bad taste. It's simply stating my opinion. Which is merely that - nothing more.

Just because I love the opera, watching Stephen Colbert, and have tickets to Jersey Boys next week (cannot wait!!!) does not make me the arbiter in taste. I don't expect everyone to share my thoughts, my likes and dislikes.

Though I am certainly drawn to people who do - there is a reason I find certain people fun to be around. (You know who you are ...)

But must we all keep our opinions, our feelings about popular culture, quiet so that we do not offend others? Do people out there not have thick enough skin that we can respectfully disagree about which movies we like?

No politics. No religion. And now, no movie preferences?

For the record, I am anxious to see There Will Be Blood. I'm excited for new episodes of Lost, and thanks to Pete, I'm totally jazzed about American Idol. As I already mentioned, Jersey Boys is next week, and I'm trying to figure out how to get to NYC to see Young Frankenstein on Broadway. I'm totally loving Rufus Wainwright sings Judy Garland. I crank up the radio whenever Peter Frampton comes on. And if we can work it out, The Magic Flute is upcoming and we'll be there.

You're free to disagree (wrongly - !). And I won't take it personally.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I occasionally get "shushed" by Steve when I want to express my opinion and it really irritates me. Like you, I don't think it's a judgement against anyone; I'm just merely stating my opinion.

Just so you know, I have no intention of seeing The Bucket List either. Oops! Better be quiet about it!

Cindy said...

It'll be our little secret - apparently it was No. 1 at the box office this weekend. Public opinion, however, does not art make. Arrested Development got canceled, ya know?

Anonymous said...

Don't remind me about AD. It was (is) my very favorite show. Thank goodness we own all the DVDs so I can get my fix. We're re-watching season 1 since there's nothing new on TV. Have you seen Lovespring International? I think you can only buy it off iTunes. It was on Lifetime for one season. It's a comedy about a California dating service. The actors use scripts but do partial improv. Buy the pilot if you're interested, but I bought the entire 1st season and it just gets funnier.