Monday, January 28, 2008

Funny to me, anyway

Two funny stories.

But first: I've written about this before, but wow, one of the things I love most about being a parent is reading with my girls. I love to re-read books I loved as a child, and I love to discover new books with them. (This is part of the reason home schooling does not appeal to me - we get introduced to things which are beyond my ken.) The last 24 hours, Sylvia and I have spent every spare minute reading Blubber by Judy Blume. She is one of my favorite children's authors, and the girls love her, too. And boy is that book ripe for discussion. We had some mean kids when I was in school, but even the meanest (whom I remember well) was no match for the girls in that book.

Now, on to the funny stories.

No. 1: I went to the theatre a couple weeks ago with my friend, N, and her friend, H. H asked N a question, prefacing it with, "Since you are a woman of a certain age ..." N is over 50. She was not offended, but somehow H thought she should point out that she is 35. Naturally they looked at me, and I said I'm 41. N was completely surprised - "Really?" she said. "I thought you were just a young thing." Which I thought about for a second, then said, "But you know I have a daughter who is 16; how old did you really think I am?" To which H replied: "She thought you were a teen pregnancy success story."

No. 2: Gary and I went to the theatre last week (it is really just coincidental that both of these stories precede theatre outings). Maddie helped me get ready to go, and she brought me a pair of earrings. "No," I said, "I think I'll go fancier - it's after 5, so I'll go with the diamond earrings." "And the bracelet?" Maddie asked, volunteering to get them for me. When she returned, she said: "Here are your best friends!" It took me a second ... what a funny kid.

Maybe not a teen pregnancy, but a success story for sure!

No comments: