Saturday, January 05, 2008

Killer freeways vs. free Margaritas

Of all the things I dislike about Houston (and there are a few, though they are less about Houston and more about the 'burbs), the traffic is No. 1.

Until you've lived in a city this size, with freeways, you don't know traffic. Sure, Chicago and LA, anywhere on the East Coast, you're competing. But for my money, Chicago is easy - even driving in the city. And St. Louis, Kansas City, and Indianapolis are a snap. I'm no longer intimidated by any of those cities. Only cities in Europe, or maybe Mexico City or Tokyo, give me pause.

Yesterday I had to brave the roads twice - once when I headed south of I-10 for the Hillary Hub, where I was one of many Hillraisers " ... participating in more than 150 Hillary Hubs around the country in a critical effort to raise $1 million in one day for our campaign. As the primary moves to New Hampshire - where we have a great organization and support, as well as endorsements from several major newspapers - we still need the support of people like you ... "

You get the idea. The script had lots and lots of talking points, but I could only focus on a couple, otherwise I would trip over my words. I got a few people to give, lots of others had just given (like last week - that should be noted in the database) and others just couldn't do it at the moment. But no one was rude or just said No.

Kind of fun. I'm still not totally committed to Hillary - I'm playing the field - but I have to say, I enjoyed the energy of being with a group of volunteers all working for a common goal, and being part of the effort. And I enjoyed the hourly conference calls that gave us a little pep talk - we heard from Hillary AND Bill - pretty exciting. Though I'm easily star-struck, perhaps.

My only complaint? Why did they have to print out those phone lists in such teeny tiny print? I had to hold it a foot in front of me to read those itty bitty numbers, and I was constantly asking the young(er) woman next to me for help - is it an 8? a 6? a 3?

I've known that bifocals were on the way, but it's more evident now than ever. Sigh ...

Then last night I had to head out on those roads a second time to attend a 30-year celebration for one of Gary's colleagues. They had a dinner at a Mexican restaurant - with spouses - and endless Margaritas - weak Margaritas, by the way. It was OK - it was a spouse corporate event - enough said. But lucky for me, not too much work chatter. Those engines and the sales philosophy is only interesting to a point, you know?

We were home by 7.30. And after a busy day soliciting volunteers and being social, I was beat. Next time they should start the party later than 4.

Traffic. Phone calls. Margaritas. Shop talk.

I think I've covered it.

No comments: