Tuesday, December 09, 2008

This and that

There's a bad word forming on my lips. I'm afraid if I say it out loud, it will leave a bad taste in my mouth. Maybe if I type it, it won't seem so foul:

Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich

Yuck. And yuck yuck yuck. I am just so disgusted I can barely see straight. This is the lowest of the low.

I mean come on - Bill Clinton just wanted to get laid. That seems pretty tame, right? Nixon was a bit more distasteful - subverting the political process and all. But trying to profit by selling a Senate seat? Offering bankruptcy help to the Tribune Company only if the writers/editors who were critical of Gov. B get fired?

Truly shocking. You know, he ran on a platform of reform following George Ryan. I'm sure the irony is lost on very few. And at least Ryan put a moratorium on the death penalty on his way out.

Yuck.

*****

Parents at Jeff High School: When you park illegally and block traffic, just because you turn on your flashers, you are still parked illegally and still blocking traffic. Just so you know.

*****

I like to put a letter in with my Christmas cards. I know - some people hate them. Me, I actually enjoy them, look forward to them. I think they are so much fun to read, to hear about the lives of former classmates and neighbors, friends I don't get to see as often as I would like.

I try not to be too braggy - I'm not going to write about the parts of the year that were overly challenging or sad, but I also don't try to pretend that my kids are the best and greatest and most amazing - I think they are pretty terrific, but realistically, other parents might see it differently. So my letters are upbeat without begin overbearing. Or so I tell myself.

I've made them shorter over the years, more truncated - because really, who wants to read about every detail of our lives? Gary has an aunt who writes two full pages - front and back, 8 1/2 x 11 - and it is a bit much ("... and on the third day of RAGBRAI ..."). She told us last year about how she had created her very first power point, then she offered to send copies for those who were interested. (And part of me wanted to ask her for it, though I'm not sure why.)

My letter has been written not once, not twice, not thrice, but four times already. Stupid computer. Or more accurately, stupid Microsoft Word. I cannot for the life of me figure out what the problem is - I cannot save anything. Nothing. Nada. I finally switched over to Gary's account, and it appears to be working.

But then I couldn't e-mail it, because the file was too large (I guess the photos are making the file huge). And I can't print it out, as I need new ink for my printer and didn't get around to getting any today - I was at Best Buy yesterday, but sadly, I could not remember exactly which of the 95 types of HP cartridges I need.

Gary said he'd take it to work on his memory stick. By the time you get one, read between the lines - there is a decidedly non-Christmas-like message buried in there, born of the frustration I felt as I typed out those words and placed those photos repeatedly.

Happy Holidays? You know, even with all the computer nonsense, it still is. There is a happiness that pervades my very being.

So computer troubles, be gone! It's the holiday season, and I will not let the Microsoft trolls get me down. Instead, I am going to curl up with my book and a mug of hot cider. The cards may not be in the post, but I am sending out lots of positive vibes.

Let me know if you got yours. And not to worry - there are plenty more on the way. Even with Gov. B and his shenanigans.

1 comment:

Gale said...

I feel the same way when I do a Christmas letter--I don't want to be too braggy, so leave it as short as possible. I do love to get the letters though; it's much nicer than just a signed card. Those always leave me wondering, "Why bother?"