Thursday, December 04, 2008

Cookies and test scores and resale and ...

I was reminded today of why I do not take my kids' things to the local resale shop. I generally just donate everything to Goodwill and take the tax write-off. But when I noticed that we had a perfectly good, barely used winter coat that Sylvia has outgrown, I figured it was worth a shot.

I know they are a business; I know they have to make a profit. But I could hear the discussion - they figured they would list the coat for $25. Thus they offered me: $10. No thanks - I'll just give it to Goodwill. (And they wouldn't even take the other jacket, for no reason that I could see.)

I know, they have to make a profit. They can only take name brands that they and their customers will recognize (even if it's a store that is well known in major metropolitan areas and not so popular here, with our small-town mentality). All the same, I'd prefer to just donate to Goodwill rather than have them pick through and offer a pittance for these items - I do not need the money, frankly.

If I had the patience I could do better on eBay. But who has the time? I'm better off frequenting Goodwill.

*****

I was Target today. That would make my fifth trip to Target this week. And I think I have to return tomorrow.

*****

ISTEP scores are in - our annual state-mandated standardized test. I am not a big fan of the standardized test. But it's the system we're in, so we have to persevere. I'm not too worried - my children always test well. But I do feel for other kids and families, kids for whom this test is not an accurate indicator of how they really learn or of their capabilities.

I was sent a code to use to log in and find out my girls' scores ... except that the Website is experiencing "technical difficulties." Guess I'll have to wait another day to find out whether or not the passed - or, to be more accurate, which level of commended they got. Which isn't really saying much - the tests are a bare minimum, so the kids should ideally pass easily. None the less, I think there are problems inherent in the system. Wish I could solve them.

*****

My kitchen smells like ginger and cinnamon. Mmmm. Too bad it doesn't look as good as it smells!

No comments: