Friday, December 12, 2008

The glory and the horror

I love Target.

I wonder what it is about shopping there that is so enjoyable. All I can say is, their brightly colored Christmas decorations just make me happy. I love the table-top Christmas trees made of bells, in bright blues, pinks, and greens; I love their party ware. I love the holiday handtowels and kitchen accessories. If I had unlimited storage space (and, perhaps, unlimited funds) I would redecorate my kitchen and bathroom at least weekly with those fun items.

I prefer Target to Wal-Mart hands down - I will gladly pay the price difference to avoid stepping inside that store, with its feel of "no price is too low" and the general impoverished mentality. Call me a snob, but I can't stand it. I know, Target is still a big box, and I'm not so sure those places are good for the local economy. But at least Target puts its energy into good design. It's still bargain shopping, but you feel so much classier about the $10 you've saved.

That said, today, Target sort of freaked me out:



Who is this woman? Is it just me, or is she a little scary? Why the manic intensity?

(I think she looks scarier in person. Trust me.)

I am no advertising expert, but I did graduate from the University of Missouri, which has an advertising major, and I have watched two entire seasons of Mad Men. If this image was designed to encourage me to shop at Target more, then it has not had the desired effect. I wanted to run, terrified, from the store.

I'll likely need to stay away for a few days. On second thought, maybe Wal-Mart is a better bet - at least I go in knowing they are crazy.

Only 13 shopping days left - are you ready?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love Target too! Walmart give me the heebie jeebies and I refuse to shop there regardless of how much money I might save. it's just not worth the mental stress.

I have not seen this picture, but she looks weird and scary. Not the quality imagery we've come to expect from Target, that's for sure.

No, I'm not ready for Christmas yet! Each year and get further and further behind.