Thursday, December 04, 2008

December mornings

Every morning this week, after I have put Sylvia on the school bus, I have sat in my living room. I just sit, sipping my tea, listening to the last few minutes of Morning Edition, staring at the Christmas tree.

It's still dark enough outside that the tree lights cast a glow over the entire room. The snow is visible through the window, and I can see the headlights on the cars as they drive down the street, headed both downtown and away from town.

I have great hopes for this room, none of which has been realized yet. The paint color on the walls is not a problem, but the carpet needs to go (just haven't had the energy to pull it out). We need to repair one set of bookcase doors and have doors built for the other side. We need to buy slipcovers for the blue chairs and new end tables. And we need to get rid of the track lighting, which hearkens back to the '70s a bit much for my taste.

At first glance, the living room seems small, smaller than our other ones. But it really isn't. On Cooper Street and Ninth Street, the living room and foyer were not separate, so there was no wall dividing them, giving the illusion of more space. On Owen Street and Ashland Landing, the room was almost exactly the same size, but there was no fireplace taking up an entire wall.

It truly is a lovely room. One entire wall is the fireplace, with oak bookcases built in on either side. They should have leaded glass doors (there are leaded glass windows above them), and we will have those repaired/replaced. The front window is huge - nearly floor to ceiling - and the entrance into the family room is framed by two giant oak pillars.

Even without any changes - with the furniture we already have, the carpet rather than wood floors - the room is very cozy. Perhaps it's the addition of the Christmas tree; perhaps it's the piano that is being used to fill the house with holiday melodies.

Perhaps it's just my frame of mind. That life is warm and secure here in the cold of the oncoming winter. I feel surrounded by wonderful friends and ready for a holiday season where we celebrate miracles and promise and the hope of peace.

Whatever the reason, it makes me look forward to those mornings by the fireplace, when I can relish the peace and quiet of our home and feel the magic in the air.

No comments: