Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Roses and Remembering

Gary brought me flowers yesterday.



Roses. Not just because I love them (I do). But because they are the same flowers he brought me on our first date. Dec. 1, 1984 - 24 years ago.

I almost hate to point out how long ago it was - I truly don't feel that old. To be fair, I was very young - practically a child.

I remember a lot about that evening - I have a photo of the two of us, and the dress still hangs in my closet. Much of what I think I remember is likely not accurate - the mind plays tricks and what you think happened gets revised as the years take their toll.

I do know that I did not see myself out with my future husband. I was out with someone I quite liked, who was witty and funny and charming. It took quite a long time before I knew it was the real thing. Which is OK, because we were young.

But somewhere, my instincts told me to stay with him. I did. And I'm glad.

I could never have imagined, all those years ago, that over two decades later, we would spend the evening eating carry-out Chinese food, with our daughters, then hanging out in front of the fire in our 120-year-old house that is under construction.

The best endings come as a surprise.

*****

And, now, back to the present.

Roof trusses are being installed today - today! We should have a roof by the end of next week. After that, work will speed right along. Roof, then wiring and HVAC, then walls and windows. I get absolutely giddy just thinking about it.

The kitchen guy called today, and he will start putting some numbers together. This is, naturally, the big stumbling block with the whole kitchen: $$$. Makes me nervous.

Much to do - must bake cookies, get dinner started, get geared up for a meeting tonight, finish putting up the other Christmas trees. Not a dull moment.

But I'll leave you with an image of the quintessential 1960s Christmas tree: The Evergleam. I even have the original box, with the fake bow. Just gotta find a color wheel and we will be all set.

2 comments:

Gale said...

Congratulations on the anniversary of your first date; Gary is a great guy. Glad that first date worked out.
THE TREE brings back so many memories! We had one with all blue balls. Very cool.

Cindy said...

Aren't they just the coolest thing? (In a kitschy way.) I am searching on eBay for a color wheel that won't break the bank. If you're going to embrace kitschy, it's best to go all the way.

Finding the perfect person with whom to share your life - it's a good thing, huh? You should know - you found a winner yourself!