Sunday, September 21, 2008

Winding down

It's been a good weekend.

OK, so not a lot of stuff got done. I've done some re-evaluating on our living conditions and decided that, despite the ongoing construction, a few more things need to get organized. And there is no reason, really, why our living room can't be in better shape.

But this weekend it was not meant to be. Because we were too busy having fun. Including, but not limited to:

• Game night Friday night. At church. Our church has lots of fun people. If you don't believe me, just ask anyone. Anyone at all - our church is renowned for having lots of good musicians and just generally fascinating folk. I enjoyed chatting with several good friends.

* Purdue game Saturday. And what a game - Purdue won, but barely, over Central Michigan University. The CMU quarterback is good. And Purdue could not seem to get to him. But somehow they got it together with a fantastic run for a touchdown with just over a minute left in the game - all they really needed was a field goal, but the touchdown made it a little more difficult for CMU to come back. Went for the two-point conversion just to make sure. And then, when CMU had the ball, moving rapidly down the field (I tell you, they were playing well), Purdue intercepted the ball with just 10 seconds left - Maddie and I had sore throats and stinging hands. What a game.

* BFF Helen and Dan came over Saturday night to enjoy our firepit with some gin & tonics. Note: Must get Helen fired from her job so she has more time to play with me.

• Church this morning, where I successfully eluded the kitchen dominatrix and entered the church kitchen. It was a bold and daring display, somewhat rash, carried off with reckless abandon, and right under her nose. I am so proud. Trust me, you have no idea what this feat truly entailed. And I have a witness, lest you doubt my account.

• Canvassed for Obama. According to the Indianapolis Star, Obama has a slight - slight - lead over McCain at the moment. It's one poll; it's subject to change. But it is enough to rally the troops. So we hit the pavement, knocking on doors. We got a few people who were McCain supporters, yet with one notable exception, they were polite (she was something else). Most people were either strongly for Obama or leaning Obama.

Exciting times.

So this evening, I'm home, resting my tired feet, planning my visit to Purdue tomorrow to see Jane Pauley.

As my friend Gale said in her blog, how ironic that, while our country is in the midst of economic upheaval, not to mention any number of other societal ills, my own personal life is nothing but good. Which is why I am working for Obama - I'd like to share the love.

Life is sweet.

2 comments:

Gale said...

I want a full report on Jane Pauley! It's so cool you get to see and hear her (oh yeah, and the rest of the economic team).
I'm ever so interested to hear who the "kitchen dominatrix" is? I have my theory....
Glad you had a good weekend--proper mix of fun and work i.e. more fun than work.

Cindy said...

Isn't it goofy to be soooo excited about seeing Jane Pauley? Yet I am, and I am not apologizing. I'll fill you in - JoAnn is going with me, so I'll make sure she behaves (!)