Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Flying Time

Is it Wednesday so soon?

It's been a busy week. I guess feeling time fleeting past is a good thing - if I were bored, time would crawl.

But I am anything but bored these days.

On Monday, I got up early and got all dressed up (read: nice capris and sandals) to go see JANE PAULEY stumping for BARACK OBAMA.

This event combined several of my favorite things: Politics. The presidential race. Seeing fun people. Spending half the day with JoAnn. And Jane Pauley.

I used to be a huge Jane Pauley fan - not quite sure why, but I was. Particularly when I was in college. It was a combination of familiarity - I watched the Today show in the mornings as I got dressed, going way back before she even started on the show - and my burgeoning journalism career. I felt that she really got the short end of the stick when she left Today. Plus, her husband is so cute (!)

Anyway, I was thrilled that she was in town, campaigning for Obama. Which leads to my second disclosure: I love presidential campaigns. I love politics - find it all fascinating - and I truly love the campaign season. It only happens every four years, and I love watching the debates, reading the analysis, being part of the electorate. I love our system of government, and I love being an informed voter. I know, many people think it carries on too long. Sorry - I am loving every minutes.

Especially now that Obama is ahead - !

I also loved seeing who was at this event that I knew - I enjoy seeing friends and seeing which local "celebrities" (or what passes for a celebrity in this town) are there.

Pauley was good - she was the facilitator for a panel discussion on economics, which included my former neighbor. She reminded us that we are all one cancer diagnosis from bankruptcy - and they have insurance. Sad tale. The econ professor from Purdue watered down his explanation of the current financial Armageddon so that people like me can understand it. Bottom line: Not so good.

Afterward, JoAnn and I went to lunch. At the student union. I felt like an undergrad again. In better shoes.

Yesterday was a day of running errands, stuff around the house. Playing catch up. Reading The Moffats, which Sylvia got for her birthday. I love Eleanor Estes.

And today, more errands. Went grocery shopping, complete with my reusable bags. I love those bags. I've had to work very hard at remembering to use them, but I am totally trained. And I've barely gotten any grocery sacks at the store this year - very impressive. I only end up with them if I make an unscheduled stop at the store, which does happen. But the bag can be recycled.

And today, also, I painted. This is my contribution to out new bathroom: Painting. Yesterday, it was me who got Gary up there with the roller to paint the big wall. And today, it was me - not the executive we, but me - who primed and painted all the trim. It looks great. But really, how hard is it to paint baseboards and molding when they are not even on the wall yet?

So. It's late (after 9) and I am beat. And I'm sure tomorrow will be just as much fun as today. Better get some rest.

No comments: