Monday, September 29, 2008

Monday, ordinary, any day

Monday morning.

What to say.

Gary is gone this week - at some meeting or training or something else business-related in San Antonio. He left the house at 4.30 a.m. for a 6.30 a.m. flight. Unfortunately, I never did get back to sleep after the 4 a.m. wake-up. So I am feeling not so awake today.

It will be tough to get Sylvia to soccer practice this week - I need to take Alison to a college fair on Wednesday and Friday there are myriad things going on. Sometimes, something has to give.

College fair. Eeesh. When did my daughter get so old?

Watched the debate Friday night. Didn't hear anything new, but I certainly did not change my mind. What I really liked was watching on CNN, where they kept "score." Each of their consultants had a little chart on the edge of the screen, where they could either give or deduct points from each candidate. Some were more into than others - one guy (forgot his name) had Obama and McCain each with +7 and -7. Made the tallying easy - I just left his score out. But according to those people, Obama clearly won, getting much more credit for good comments and fewer deductions for errors or misinformation.

We are going to be so ready for Thursday night ... except that Gary will not be here, so I'll have to watch alone. Sad - I'll have to let Alison stay up and watch with me.

So ... Friday night it was just Gary, Sylvia, and I, so we went out to dinner. Came home and watched the debate. Saturday Gary took the girls to the Feast of the Hunters Moon. Somehow, even though the food is great, I suddenly felt that I just couldn't face a day of wandering through a field, looking at tents full of 18th-century wares, and watching various fife and drum corps (just what is the plural of "corps" anyway?).

So I stayed home and straightened up the living room. Looks great. Yes, it's the same old furniture; no, the leaded glass doors have not been replaced. Yes, the ugly carpet is still there. But the room looks presentable, none the less. Gary came home and we moved some furniture, hung a bunch of stuff on the walls, so our house feels much more put together.

Saturday night we decided not to go to the movies, but stayed in, made popcorn, watched television. Big night, I know.

Sunday we went to church, which had what felt like the l-o-n-g-e-s-t ever session of Joys and Sorrows. Honestly, it went on for 15 minutes. That has to change - I could see a woman I know absolutely cringing during the entire thing - I'm pretty sure she would have bolted it she could have.

So, Sunday afternoon Gary and I went to a fund-raiser for local candidates. It was fun - not a big crowd, but I got to chat with some friends. One of the women I just played Mah Jongg with was there. She is a formidable woman (she puts in my place immediately, tells me just how I should be doing things - how to wear my nametag, for example). She is somewhat prominent in the community (her family owns a well-known business), is very active in different groups.

She scares me a little. But in a good way. I think.

And last night, I watched Gary pack his suitcase, did some laundry, and watched Mad Men.

Fun stuff, I know. But it's in the mundane that we live most of our lives, isn't it? I have to say, I'll take my mundane over others' excitement. Any day.

2 comments:

Gale said...

I am alone on Thursday night too--want to watch together?

Cindy said...

Oooh - sounds like fun!!