Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Happy Birthday!

It was 17 years ago today that I began my journey through the world of parenting.

I was woefully unprepared.

Not unprepared for the amount of work - it is staggering, but that did not come as a surprise. No, the surprise lay in the amount of joy, in the fulfillment that being a parent to my daughter would bring.

Alison made her debut at 12.05 p.m. on Monday, September 16, 1991. She arrived a full 12 days past her anticipated due date - 12 long and grueling days, during which I endured doctor visits, non-stress tests, ultrasounds, and being poked and prodded in every imaginable way to ascertain whether or not this little person was better off where she was or should be forced into the world against her will.

I was all for encouraging her. The doctor felt otherwise. And maybe it was just as well, because she decided on her own, her arrival was fairly speedy. She was perfect - a whopping 8 lbs. 14 oz., an absolutely gorgeous baby girl.

I entered into some parts of parenting with a great deal of naivete. I truly believed that how your children turned out was in all how you reared them - I honestly thought that if I just taught her to be a good person, she would be.

How little I knew, in those early days, about how children learn and about their genetic predispositions. Fortunately, Alison was gentle as she taught me how life really works and about how babies turn into toddlers and become themselves.

It's hard to believe she is 17 years old today. She has grown into an amazing young woman - bright, articulate, funny, and generally a delight to be around. She would make any parent proud.

She is not perfect - really, what teenager is? - but in the grand scheme of things, she does not cause us great concern. Sure, she could make her bed, pick up her room, put dirty clothes in the hamper. The green Jetta she drives seems to sport new dings every other day. She promises to do something around the house and forgets within minutes.

But these are minor annoyances. She is thoughtful and treats her sisters well; she is kind to her friends - and there are many - and pleasant to be around. She won't friend me on Facebook, but in person, she treats us with respect. She is truly the kind of young woman everyone likes.

And she plans to help me with my Halloween costume - but I'll be keeping that a secret for a while longer.

She is one of the reasons I became a parent a second and even a third time - she has made this part of my life pure joy. Happy Birthday to my eldest daughter - thanks for being you.

2 comments:

Gale said...

Happy Birthday Alison. And congrats to you and Gary for having made it this far. It's such a great adventure for all concerned.

Cindy said...

And some days I feel like we have such a l-o-n-g way to go. We are so far from being done. Keeping my fingers crossed that the girls survive our parenting with minimal damage!