Monday, September 08, 2008

I Hate Mondays

I got my People magazine in the mail today. And let me tell you, the last thing I want to see right now is a People magazine.

First of all, I am supposed to get it on Friday. It is the perfect item to use for winding down on Friday afternoon - light and superficial articles on vapid celebrities. But for some reason, I didn't get it until Monday. And Monday is a day of business, not a day when I read about how thin celebrities are and how cute their babies are. I have my own children. And no one gave me a medal for losing the baby weight. (Which I did, by the way. Just in case you're wondering.)

Today I have dealt with a child who missed the bus - the bus that arrived more than 5 minutes early. Said bus picks up at our door - there is no reason to be ready five full minutes early. Usually we are sitting outside waiting. But rather than stress about it today, making her rush, I just drove her to school. Not a big deal; I don't want her to start her day all frazzled.

Then I had to deal with a snippy Verizon phone rep who had to explain just why my phone bill is so high. (Answer: I am still being charged for transferring my service - those charges are spread out over two bills. Annoying.) Then she wants to know which state I moved from - why was this relevant, I asked? Oh, she's just making conversation.

You know, I didn't call you for chit chat - I have friends for that. Stick to business, OK?

Then this People magazine arrives. With our new VP candidate on the cover, extolling the virtues of her "choice" to have her baby with Down Syndrome, and her daughter's "choice" to keep her baby.

But according to her, there is no "choice" - she believes terminating a pregnancy would be wrong. So when she talks about how she took the moral high ground, she must realize this is a choice she would not allow other women. Those of us who truly are pro-choice would never, ever deny a woman the right to have her baby. What if someone were to decide that certain women should not have babies, that certain types of babies should never be born? I don't want the government to have that kind of power, either. It's truly about who decides, which is why I want it left in the hands of the woman. I want women like Palin to have that right. Too bad she doesn't see it that way.

I've been interrupted, and my head is sort of spinning. And that's enough anti-Palin for today.

These aren't really reasons for hating Monday - most of the day was OK. My tile selection will look great in the bathroom, I volunteered for a bit today, took care of some other details. Plus I don't hate just Mondays - I am equal-opportunity hater, and I'll leave open the option to hate any other day of the week. For now, I think I'll take control and turn today around.

No comments: