Wednesday, September 03, 2008

And now for something completely different ...

I tuned in to the new 90210 last night. And - I loved it!

I watched the original oh so many years ago. And I loved it, too. Well, early on, anyway - once Brenda left, not so much. I didn't watch much after that. But we got four good seasons.

I had not really planned to watch the new one. Then a friend blogged about it, and I started thinking about it. So at 8 p.m., I was there (well, actually, more like 9, so I could skip through the commercials).

Gary thinks they may be pandering a bit too much to the original fans of the show - Kelly? Brenda? Erin Silver - which I caught right away, though she may be slightly younger than that in actuality, but I can overlook it. Kelly's mother will be there next week - same actress. I can only hope they bring back everyone - after all, just what are Luke Perry and Brian Austin Greene up to, anyway?

The best part? The new characters are just like the old ones, with slight changes:

• New kids hail from Kansas, not Minnesota
• New kids are brother and sister, but not twins. And one is a minority. (Go diversity!)
• They work on the newspaper, with the Iranian guy standing in for Andrea
• Young, earnest Annie also acts, dresses badly, and she will have a fling with the cute guy
• Popular girl will be a bitch and Annie's friend, ala Kelly
• David Silver's sister has a blog (cue David with that stupid camera). God, does she have an embarrassingly bad music act, too?
• Midwestern parents will have trouble adjusting
• Though it's nice to see Lucille there, wreaking havoc

Opening credits, theme music, high school set - all the same. Different, yet the same.

I can hardly wait for next week! In all its vapidity, I love this show!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I almost watched it just so I could see Lucille Bluth. Man, I adore Jessica Walter! Hmmm, maybe I'll give it a shot. I never watched the original.