Sunday, July 06, 2008

Stress

Went to Austin for the fourth - had a nice time. Toured the LBJ Library, went to the Capital, to the ... well, a center on the UT campus whose name I cannot remember (Ransom Center, maybe?) that houses a lot of papers from prominent Americans - they have a Guttenberg Bible, the first photo ever (circa 1832 - exposed for eight hours to get the print - amazing). They had an exhibit on the Beat Poets that was cool. Missed the bats when dinner went too late, but saw the fireworks from the Congress Street Bridge, which were amazing.

Today Sylvia had her going away party. As I said good bye to the parents of her friends, I was suddenly hit with all sorts of emotions that I'd been avoiding or denying: We are moving. And there are people here I will truly miss.

So, since 6 p.m., I have been feeling panicky. I have a ton of stuff to do, to get together, and I've done very little. I've done a bunch of laundry, and I have a list of details to take care of. Which I'll be doing between before 8 a.m. tomorrow. Some of it can happen as the packers are here - I just have to direct them to start in places I don't need to be - the dining room, the game room, the garage.

It will all be fine. But this week is going to be a mess. Which is probably why I wasn't thinking about it - I knew this would happen.

I just have to make it through to Friday. Then I'll be through the worst of it.

No comments: