Monday, July 21, 2008

Some good, some ... not so good

I love my "new" house. "New" is a relative term, as the house was built in 1880. But I love historic homes in historic neighborhoods. This one fits the bill.

Yet I am not loving the outdated kitchen. Yesterday as I tried to load the dishwasher, all I could think was, How did they live this way? It is temporary for us - we are doing a kitchen remodel. It is desperately needed. Cabinets are old, floors are yucky, appliances are dated. Kitchen is wa-a-a-a-y too small. Half bath is tiny.

It's OK - it's all changing. We can get by.

But I am loving the laundry chute - it is so convenient. We had one growing up, but as I did not actually do said laundry, I did not realize how very cool it was.

Now I know.

I also love my little dressing room off our bedroom. It is adorable. And I love all the closets - a coup for an old house.

But - on a totally unrelated note - I am missing the Houston Chronicle. Such a great paper. But that's why we have the Internet. (When it's working.)

Mostly, I am happy. All these things that bug me? They can all be changed. The things that can't are small. I am overcome with calm, with a serene feeling that all is right with the world. Tranquility. Contentment.

Zen. Peace, all.

No comments: