Tuesday, July 29, 2008

More moving drama

We are still in unpacking mode. Still.

I'm wondering when - if - it will ever end.

I have total moving amnesia. Which, if I'm not mistaken, I've mentioned before. But it's so true. I have no memory of our move to Houston and how awful the moving-in part was. Though I do have a brief snippet of thinking I was never, ever doing it again.

Yet here we are. Just throw in the added stress of construction.

I know, I know - this is all becoming a bit tiresome. People move every day. People with even more crap than we have move all the time. Why I am such a drama queen I can't say.

But there is progress:

• Gary hacked off part of my desk, so it now fits in the spot where I want it. It's a great desk, and it is - was - huge. A giant work surface. I want it to fit in the little room off the kitchen, which is just perfect for a little office. (I am wondering what it was when the house was built - breakfast room? Morning room?) Sadly, the doorways are not lined up, so the L-shape of the desk was blocking a doorway. I looked at other desks, and nothing looked very substantial. So I had Gary whip out the saw, chop off the L, and it is a perfect fit. The room is tight, what with desk, futon, three bookcases, and two cabinets all in a 10'x11' space. But it's working. I have a fabulous view of the pool and the yard from my desk.

• Sylvia's room is put away. Finally. Her room is small, so it was tough to find a place for all her things. But the addition will mean a bigger room for the Sylvia, so she will be fine.

• Moved Maddie to her temporary digs on the third floor, in a corner of the game room. It's only temporary, while we break into her room for our bathroom, then add on to her room. She was initially a bit put off, but she's fine now. No pain, no gain - truer words were never spoken.

• My room is virtually box free. Of course, we have three rooms in our master lair: Bedroom, sitting room, and dressing room. The dressing room is my favorite part - and it's all mine. Mine. Gary has been relegated to one of the other closets - the charming little room with two closets and shelving is mine. Which is best - if he were to spend too much time in there, he might start counting shoe boxes. And no one benefits from that sort of activity.

• Still need to rearrange the books. We have bookcases in our room, the office, and the living room. So I have to decide which books go where. And haul them around. Gary is, naturally, out of town. How clever of him to arrange business trips in order to avoid helping unpack.

My friend is bringing over dinner, so I need to go make this place presentable. Or something that passes for presentable.

What's the statute of limitations on "We just moved in"?

No comments: