Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Where does the time go?

Has it really been since last Wednesday?

Egads.

Time gets away from me. I was single-parenting last week, which, while not excruciatingly difficult (my girls are generally pretty good kids), is tiring. Just knowing that I am the only parent around, that no one else can ever back me up, that I have to do everything, well, it can wear me out. Good thing I don't have demanding kids.

Gary came home Saturday afternoon. In the morning I took Maddie over to school to get on the bus for her field trip, then took Alison to a clinic to get a TD booster. I then had to drop her off at church for a rehearsal. Figuring going a different way would be faster than back-tracking, I plugged the address into the GPS. It took me to I-10 (or as we call it here, the Katy Freeway). Which is under construction. Which I kind of knew, in the back of my mind, but it was off my radar. The horrors of traffic congestion combined with construction. It would have been faster for me to go back the way I had come - grrrr. Thought I was saving time, but in fact, no.

Live and learn.

I love Mothers Day. Sylvia gave me a charming little card, filled with coupons that I can cash in for different activities - reading with her, feeding the dog, picking up her room. (I asked her to set the table last night, and she made a bee-line for the coupons; she marked that one used - !) But is it wrong that I was disappointed that I only got that card? Nothing from the other girls, no real gift? I know, my husband was out of town last week, had no time to shop. But still.

Sigh. I feel greedy, but at the same time, it's nice to be remembered. My husband always, always gets gifts on Fathers Day. I felt slighted.

And still, it's really a small thing, in the grand scheme of things.

I took the girls to the theatre Friday night. Came home at 11, realized we were out of milk. So I made the 11.30 run to the supermarket. One line was open, and one woman had a huge cart full of groceries. Sorry, she apologized, it's the only time i could shop.

How can you be annoyed at that? God, we have all had those weeks, where it feels as if there is no time to get it all done. I could so relate. She felt bad, holding up the line, but the store should have opened up another lane. That way the guy in front of me with Killian's Red and Diet Coke, the guy behind me with three bottles of wine and ice cream, I with two gallons of milk (one was $3.65, but i could get two for $6), we could check out faster. (My arms were about to fall off, holding two gallons.)

Time. It is going faster and faster. I don't have enough.

And it's nearly time for the dentist. Fun stuff.

Time to go.

No comments: