Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Charity by coercion

My daughter brought home a fund-raiser yesterday. It involved the heart association. The kids were asked to being in a minimum donation. If they did not, they would have to run laps as punishment.

???

I made the bare minimum gift. But the more I thought about it, the more irritated I got. So, I fired off an e-mail to the assistant principal:

I'm not exactly sure whom to e-mail about this, so I am starting with you.

My sixth-grade daughter brought home a fund-raiser this week, for the Heart Association, I believe. The kids were asked to make a minimum donation. But they were told if they didn't, the would have to run laps in PE.

I am all for the schools raising money for worthy causes. But is this the best way to motivate families to be generous, by using punishment in order to coerce kids and families into giving?

Plus, this turns running into a punishment, when it should be encouraged as a good physical fitness activity.

For the record, we made a contribution, so this isn't about my child being punished. But I really think this sends the wrong message to kids and families. Altruism should be encouraged for its own sake, not as a means of avoiding punishment or humiliation. I will be very disappointed to see this occur again next year.

*****

We'll see what happens.

Is it just me, or is this a bad idea?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm on your side with this one. I think "punishing" kids by making them run laps is a bad idea. Especially as punishment for a fund raiser. Isn't giving supposed to be something we want to do, not have to do?

Anonymous said...

I can't believe the school. This is outrageous! There are so many different charities and each individual person/family should choose the "cause" that fits their own wishes. I think it is absoloutely ridiculous to punish the children for not making the minimum donation. I completely agree with you that "running laps" is punishment when physical fitness should be encouraged. Arrrggghhhh!! I can see why you were irritated by this. Let us know the response of the principal.