Friday, May 04, 2007

When being overzealous does not pay

The paper piles up around here. Newspapers (the Houston Chronicle is one big paper). Junk mail. Old magazines and catalogs. Fliers in the door. Papers from school. And on and on.

And we have no curbside recycling. Fortunately all the schools collect paper and cardboard for recycling, in big dumpsters. Alison and Maddie both have after-school activities, so I am over there often enough.

This week I needed to make a run. I gathered up everything, went through Sylvia's backpack and gathered up all the errant notes. Got it all together, took it over Wednesday afternoon when I picked up Alison.

As Sylvia got her backpack together yesterday evening, she asked me if I had seen her language arts homework sheet. (The kids are given homework on Monday to do throughout the week, turning it in Friday.)

Ooops! I must have grabbed it along with everything else Wednesday. I know I left the math papers, but I guess I thought they were all together.

I wrote a mea culpa to her teachers - It's all my fault. I did it. She did the work. Don't blame Sylvia.

Her very nice teachers said no problem - she has a very good record of doing her work on time. No problem, no questions asked.

She's off the hook. But am I?

This is what I get for trying to get things in order, trying to stay on top of things.

Devil.

No comments: