Saturday, May 26, 2007

Overwhelmed

Wow.

This thing on my other blog (you know, the *secret* blog) has been incredible. And I don't mean that in a good way. I have had more than 10,000 hits, 300-plus comments.

When I post on that site - or this one - I really assume I am posting for a handful of people. Thus if I had known so many people were reading, I would have written it differently - different audience, you know. I have done a lot of writing in my life - I write magazine articles, and I have written newspaper editorials and commentary. So I know how to address a particular audience. With this entry, I would have been much less sarcastic, more balanced. But hey - I thought it was written for friends.

Sigh. I have been called terrible names, been called intolerant, and much worse. What happened to freedome of speech? I was merely sharing an opinion. Doesn't mean I'm right - they're just my thoughts.

Funny thing - and another blog friend said this, too - when I read a blog I disagree with, or don't like, I usually just move on. It would never, ever occur to me to leave a negative or mean-spirited comment. I just assume we don't have much in common and keep going.

But hey - nothing wrong with some spirited discourse. And you know? Out of this I have run across some really cool people - I have excellent new subscriptions, have read some great comments. And some of the more interesting comments have come from people who do not agree with me.

But they were nice about it. It is possible to respectfully disagree.

Oh - but I digress. It was swim meet day today - and it rained. Big time. Gary drove over with the tent, etc., signed Maddie in, then came home. He took Sylvia back with him - on bikes - and Alison and I followed later, also on bikes. I left quickly, told Alison to catch up, because I didn't want to miss the upcoming race. Got there just in time to see Maddie shave 8 seconds off her time - wow. Alison showed up late; she had a flat tire on her bike so she walked.

Then it poured rain. Poured. Meet called til Monday (which means many grouchy parents). So, Gary and Alison rode bikes back home, brought the van, and picked up the rest of us, the cooler, the chairs, the tent. We're home again, dry. But we canceled our evening cook-out, scheduled for the backyard. I didn't feel like moving it indoors; we'll try again tomorrow. Instead, we're going to the movies tonight. The girls are going to see Pirates, and Gary and I will see Waitress - the reviews are very good.

And one more thing: It's my birthday. The girls have been very sweet. Sylvia came to check this morning on whether the dishes in the dishwasher were clean or dirty - she wanted to load her breakfast things. What a sweetheart. I scored some new luggage (which, oddly enough, Gary has been wanting for a while ....), a bathtub pillow, some bath salts, a new pumice stone (because my husband mistakenly used mine to clean the pool - ???), sunglasses (which I do not need today, sad), and CDs of Aida, Porgy & Bess, and Carmen. What a haul - I am feeling very loved today.

Happy Birthday to me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday. I hope my card arrived in time. I was out of town and didn't call because I was sidetracked with the kiddos in Des Moines. Man, being a parent is a full-time job! Hope you had a wonderful day despite the rain.

Now that you're comfortably in your 40s, how does that feel? I'm personally looking forward to another 29th birthday!