Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Summer break: Day 3

It's only the third day.

And already, I am looking for advice. Such as, how do I teach my children to load their dirty dishes in the dishwasher? How can I motivate them to keep their rooms tidy? Will they ever stop bickering? Can they learn where to hang the wet beach towels?

(The closet that should hold the beach towels is empty - ! They are likely all on the floor in the girls' bathroom.)

Actually, we were great up through the afternoon. Morning was calm - swim practice, a babysitting job. We had planned to go to Target, and when I went to check the rooms, I was not happy. You must understand, everything was perfect just one week ago when the grandparents visited. What has happened in the meantime?

No trip to Target - maybe today I'll feel nicer, but the girls have got to keep their stuff organized. I am anal-retentive about this sort of thing, so they must be, too. Maybe they can live with the disarray of their rooms, but I can't.

My two older daughters are busy with multiple babysitting gigs - I figure they are recouping some of the many dollars I laid out over the years. If they keep it up at this rate, they will be wealthy by the end of the summer.

I did enjoy my hour in the pool yesterday. It was pure zen, as the kids played peacefully and I floated through the water. I was enveloped by calm ... probably because I had my iPod (in the pool? am I crazy?) and could watch the kids but not hear them shrieking. And they did splash me - the iPod is sacred.

Today is a new day - we're all going to be more calm, more organized. I am going to try not to flip out over the messes. But I will not reward them. If you don't clean up, you don't get trips to the library or shopping or get driven to Tae Kwon Do. We'll see how this strategy goes ... results tomorrow.

Now that my 10 a.m. time slot is open (no more Rosie), my days are more flexible. Sad but true.

I think that covers it.

No comments: