Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Even at 41 cents, a bargain

There is always a line at the post office in Cypress, Texas. Regardless of the time of day, the time of the year, there are perpetually 15 people in line and two windows (of four) open. Generally, the clerks are friendly enough. But I do tire of the wait.

I find myself there more than I would like to admit. At Christmas time, naturally, I have to go. Then I had to mail Girl Scout cookies to people who ordered them from out of town, the phone charger that Maddie's friend left when she visited, the odd baby or birthday gift, a return to Amazon or Land's End.

Today I purchased Forever stamps - such a deal - and two-cent stamps. Postal rates go up Monday.

But you know what? I'm not complaining about the rate hike. Because I think first-class postage is a deal.

I mean, think about it. For 41 cents, I can drop a letter in the mailbox (or put it just outside my front door for someone to pick up) and it will be delivered anywhere in the United States. Imagine - a card will arrive at my mother-in-law's in Missouri, another one will be delivered to my mother in Austin. If I have a bill or a paper or a card to get to someone else in Houston, for a mere 41 cents, someone else will get it there for me. I could hand-deliver it, but it would take me 30 minutes each way, fighting traffic, with gasoline at nearly $3 a gallon.

That 41 cents is sounding better, huh?

So, no complaints here on higher postage - I still find it an incredible bargain.

*****

In other news ... I exchanged the pillows at BB&B - the new ones were too big. I like a fluffy pillow, but not one that makes me feel as if I'm sleeping sitting up. Or on a boulder.

Maddie wants basketball shorts. She is a total sucker for peer pressure, and ALL her friends are wearing basketball shorts for field day. I'm not quite sure I know what they look like ... I picked up a white skirt for her to wear to awards night tonight, so maybe that will make her happy. Gymnastics this afternoon, which means 70 minutes to sit and read (an hour is not enough time for little girls to do cartwheels?).

The adult woman in front of me at the post office had on a Britney Spears T-shirt. Sadly, I don't think it was meant to be ironic.

And on that note - later!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My favorite thing about mailing a letter or card is the though that the recipient will love getting something in the mail. You just can't put a price on a nice, handwritten card. Well, I guess you can at $.41, but that's not the point.

I agree about the woman in the Britney Spears shirt. I don't think she was being ironic either. How could a grown woman wear that in public?!