Friday, February 06, 2009

What else have I been up to?

I have not been idle this week: I am ridding my bedroom of this:


The dreaded mauve and blue floral. So big in the 1980s - maybe even in the early '90s - but oh-so-out-of-style these days.

At least not my style.


And look - it gets better, as it is partnered with lace valances. So, so not my style. Though it might have been at an earlier point in my life, just not now.


We even have a wallpaper border - who uses wallpaper borders anymore? Not that there's anything wrong with them - I'm just a little bored with the entire wallpaper phenomenon.

Then again, decorating is very personal - you should go with whatever works for you. This just isn't working for me.


So this is what I've been doing all week. I've been armed with my trusty spray bottle of boiling water and a putty knife, scraping, scraping, scraping. I particularly like how the residual paper has taken the shape of Illinois here.

I have at least three more rooms in which to remove paper: Maddie's bathroom, Sylvia's bedroom, and the kitchen. After this ordeal, should wallpaper come back in style, I will think long and hard before hanging any. Or I'll be paying someone.

But I'm sure the end result will be worth it. I'll let you know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You want to get rid of that?! I see no problem with that lovely mauve flower design and the lace curtains just add to the charm. I feel you on the wallpaper removal and I am not envying your situation!