Friday, February 13, 2009

The Valentine's box

I am somewhat challenged in the craft department. It's a tough admission for the mother of three daughters, but alas, it is none the less true.

My own mother used to make this claim. She should have given herself more credit - I got even less of this gene than she did. And really, she did remarkably well. She was my Girl Scout troop leader and did very well. And she managed to come up with some of the cutest Valentine's Day boxes ever.

This was back in the day when we all made our boxes at home and brought them to school for a little contest. Kids with creative-type parents were lauded; those whose parents were more challenged had dull, uninspired boxes.

Lucky for me, my mom could help me create some good ones. One year we made a castle, which was a huge hit with my classmates.

My favorite, though, has always been the Valentine's Day train. And I can even remember how to make it.

So, armed with these supplies, Sylvia and I set out to make her Valentine's box:


This was our prototype - a few years ago, after never having to make a Valentine's box with my own children, I thought the girls should see that I actually am capable of making something that looks decent.



Sylvia and I worked yesterday afternoon, and this was the end result:


I could have just sent her with the old one, but that wouldn't have been the same - it was about making a Valentine's box for Sylvia.

She set off for school today, Valentines and box in hand. I will show up at 10 to attend her party, armed with red velvet cupcakes with pink and red sprinkles.

Making Sylvia happy is such a simple task these days. And it makes me happy, too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cute! The only Valentine's box I remember making was a replica of Snoopy's doghouse. I was so proud of it! Then a creepy kid gave me a Valentine in which he'd drawn a picture of one of the characters from Planet of the Apes. Even at a young age I was attracting weirdos.

Cindy said...

I think a picture from Planet of the Apes is a very sweet sign of affection. One year I only put candy into the Valentines of kids I really liked. And one kid that I gave candy to did not even give me a Valentine at all - how do you like that? And Michael Larrick said, Hey, you forgot to put candy in mine. Oh, I didn't forget. Trust me.

Sylvia won second prize - she was very pleased, and her best friend won first. Third prize was a kid who didn't even decorate his box - not sure if kids were being funny or if he is a very charming sort.