Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Remodel: Part XXXIV of MM

For those of you who think I dwell way too much on my house remodeling .... well, let me just say, you've clearly never done a remodel of your entire house. If you ever had, you would know how all-consuming it is.

Today, for example, the electricians were here to install the ceiling fans and outlets in the new rooms upstairs. Mid-job Gale, my contractor/surrogate husband, popped down and said one of the fans had been previously opened and repackaged and was missing pieces - could I run and exchange it rightatthisverymoment, because the electricians only have this scheduled in for another 90 minutes.

Sigh. Such is my life. Must paint new sunroom/guestroon; must strip old hideous wallpaper from Sylvia's room. Must look at appliances to check dimensions for cabinet people; must look at interior French door for new sunroom.

The devil's in the details, or so they say. I am coordinating all these details. Thus I am dancing with the devil. Most days, it feels like it.

(Though I did take a break today and play with my Mah Jongg group, from which I came home $2.50 wealthier. I was, in fact, the only winner of the day. It's a skill.)

The false wall came down in Sylvia's room today. The fourth wall is unfinished, but there is a sense now of just how large the room is. We only added about 2 1/2 feet, but the room feels huge. She is very pleased. As am I.

Tomorrow we move Maddie into her new room. The excitement just never ceases.

No comments: