Wednesday, April 09, 2008

So much to say ....

I read a report today that Katie Couric will leave CBS much earlier than when her contract expires in 2011. While neither she nor CBS would flatly refute the claims in the Wall Street Journal, both downplayed the report.

I would not be terribly surprised if it were true. The ratings are not good. And, to be honest, she bugs me. I was never a big fan of hers on the Today Show, and I am not a big fan now. I watch CBS because I've been watching it my whole life. But you have to remember that Walter Cronkite was the anchor when I was growing up. Now, 25 years later, not sure what my excuse is.

And Kathie Lee Gifford is back on TV, on Today. Good grief - as if anyone wants her back on the air. Tom Shales of the Washington Post said she is a bit tough to stomach: "Maybe it's her assumption that her life is every bit as important to us as it is to her. But that would be categorically impossible."

I have a bunch of stuff I could - and will - share. But right now I want to go and curl up with my book. I spent 90 minutes on the phone this evening with one of my favorite friends; I spent Monday afternoon on the phone with another dear friend. Met a friend for lunch today. I need to do something productive ...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Egads! I about had a heart attack when I heard Kathie Lee Gifford was coming to the Today show. Guess I'll choose another morning show to watch when I'm on the treadmill because I just can't take her.

No surprise about Katie Couric either. As my sister would say, "she's a bug."

Cindy said...

Click on the Tom Shales link to read the entire story - it is a hoot!

Anonymous said...

Yes, it is a hoot. He says pretty much everything I feel. The Today Show has officially "jumped the shark."