Monday, April 21, 2008

Renovation, restoration, and cash - oh my!

All our discussions keep coming back to this house.

Yes, it need serious work. But I've contacted the roof/gutter people, and my dear, dear friend is going to walk through with the contractor, who is going to tell us where we can add a master bathroom upstairs.

Helen and I have envisioned a beautiful, ensuite master bath that will incorporate a fireplace into the plan - it sounds stunning. We'll need the contractor to tell us if it's feasible. Gary is not sold on this idea; he is picturing a different bathroom .... I'll certainly keep his opinion in mind, but I think Helen and I have a differnt plan - !

The rooms are huge in this house - and full of charming old house details, such as pocket doors, French doors, woodwork, and fireplaces (four of them).

Is the wallpaper not lovely? And circa 1989? It is nearly as hideous as the wallpaper we inherited in another house ... which wasn't hideous so much as just not my taste. And a bit much - every room had two papers and three coordinating borders - a little phooey for my taste.

What can I say - I am not loving wallpaper these days. But that can be changed. Not easily - I will be stripping wallpaper well into 2009 - but it can be changed.

The kitchen needs some work. The floor is vinyl (gotta go), and the cabinets need to be updated. Why not - if we're going to consider going in this deep, let's just go all the way. It will be time to renew the Old House Journal subscription and go for the reproduction cabinets. Note the wall of windows - they overlook the backyard. Nice feature.

I'm getting chills just thinking about it. It's been a long time since we've done serious work to a house, but we really love older homes, and I would enjoy the chance to bring this house back to its former glory.

The foyer is huge - larger than the living room in the house where I grew up. The little balcony on the right was apparently built for the original owner's harp. It will be perfect for a string trio. For all those occasions when one has need of a string trio.

Gary and I have brainstormed - little things like, we'll devote the entire kitchen to cabinets (probably include an island with a breakfast bar) and perhaps break the wall down into the family room (back parlor) and have the eating area there. It will work - it has definite possibilities.

Now we just have to get the quotes and bargain the price down so that we can afford the house and the restoration. Wish us luck - lots of luck.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know this was the one you liked the best! It's lovely and the balcony in the foyer is perfect for that string trio you'll be hiring regularly!

I've never been a fan of wallpaper - too prissy for my taste - but, fan or not, the patterns in this house are awful! Good luck with all the work, but I'm sure the results will be well worth it.

Anonymous said...

Cindy,

I love the house. It has so much curb appeal and really is classic. I hope you get it. Of course, do not count on me for any renovation assistance. I am more of a supervisor. Good luck with it.

Cindy said...

In person, the wallpaper choices are even more egregious. Trust me.

Cindy said...

And I thought for sure you would come spend a weekend with me, Peter, stripping wallpaper. I was hoping your good taste genes would come in handy at last. Some people ...