Monday, April 07, 2008

Happy Birthday!

As I did not manage to make it to the mailbox, I need to acknowledge a couple of birthdays:

Happy 12th Birthday to Emily, my one and only niece. She celebrated over the weekend by getting an electric guitar. We have a little something for her, which will be mailed tomorrow (it's always nice to spread the birthday cheer out over a few days ....)

And also celebrating are dear, dear friends Helen and Richie. Richie turns 14 tomorrow; as Helen celebrates today, we can assume that she is one day older than Rich. Or something like that.

I have mentioned Helen here before. But, as all good things, she is worth mentioning again. We have been friends since the day 14 years ago that I moved in three houses down from her. It was a chilly January day, and she welcomed me and my two daughters into her home to meet her and her two children. Alison and Claire became the best of friends; Maddie and Rich continue to acknowledge one another's presence (though they did play together when they were small, sharing a babysitter for quite some time).

Since then, we've added Scotlyn and Sylvia to our respective broods, and they, too, became best friends. I've also added three subsequent addresses. Yet she is still there for me.

I miss living just doors away from her; I miss having her to talk to and hang out with. Go to dinner with; discuss the important moments in life with. We still do plenty of chatting over the phone - how lucky we are share AT&T as a mobile carrier. We agree on almost - almmost - everything, which is almost scary - I know I can count on her to share my distaste for Celine Dion, Brooke Shields, Kirstie Alley and Kathie Lee Gifford. Yet she would be the first person I would ask to see Elton John in concert. When I have an issue with moody teenagers, she is the first person I call - she has either been there or knows she will be soon. She knows that it is perfectly reasonable to expect your 16-year-old to pay for the gas in the car and complain about how life is not fair.

It is because of her and her sense of humor that I have survived parenthood - of this I am sure. Plus it's fun to throw the husbands into the mix - if you take her husband out to dinner, he can be incredibly entertaining.

I consider myself lucky to have a lot of good friends in my life - and as I mentioned yesterday, I am hearing from them in a host of e-mails this week. It makes me feel very loved. Helen is right at the top of that list - I am lucky to know her.

I look forward to meeting her for lunch one of these days - soon!

No comments: