Monday, March 17, 2008

What a difference a day makes

We are all settled in West Texas, feeling very cowboy.

Sea World was ... well, it was OK. The kids wanted to go; Gary wanted to go. So we went. It was sort of overcast and high 60s - cool enough that Gary and Sylvia changed out of shorts - so I was sort of dreading it. But it never rained and warmed up a fair amount, so the weather was actually great. But the park itself? It was an amusement park - overpriced food and drinks, rides and roller coasters, vast areas of blacktop, and amusement park-quality shows. The girls wanted to see the Shamu show. Let me say first of all that whales are amazing creatures - they are truly fascinating. But the show was a bit much, titled "Believe," with this sappy story of how one of the trainers dreamed her whole life of working with dolphins and, thanks to the power of positive thinking, here she is. This is all told to the tune of a soundtrack that was a combination of John Williams and Celine Dion.

Ick.

They also wanted to see the Beluga show, which was marginally - and I do mean marginally - better. Once again, the whales do no disappoint. But they were combined with diving, music, and costumes that were clearly choreographed by a European, all to the tune of some European techno-pop score. (If you wonder what I'm describing, tune in the next time the Olympic opening ceremonies are in Europe, and you'll see what I mean.) On a brighter note, I now know what mid-level divers do with their skills ....

Keep in mind that I am not against big-time entertainment - I love the Opera, the circus, and the Broadway (LOVE the Broadway). But these shows were a bit much - waaay over-produced.

Can you tell that amusement parks don't really do it for me? Ever since a disastrous trip to Six Flags (well, disastrous might be a stong word) and a four-day stay at Disneyworld (about three days too many), I've not been that into them - give me a day at a museum anytime.

This morning started rough. Last night's hotel was nice, but it had one small elevator, which was always crowded. The breakfast room had very few tables, all of which were full this morning. We finally asked a guy who was sitting alone at a table for four if he minded if we joined him - I think he kind of did, but too bad, as the place was packed. They were constantly out of everything, and the staff was a little slow to respond. And to top it off, my cup bent as I tried to put a lid on it, so I spilled hot tea all down my leg, all over my clean jeans, all over my Juicy Couture shirt with the necessary green frog.

But things could only get better.

We spent most of the day in the car, heading to West Texas. We arrived around 4 p.m. in Marathon, after a day spent driving through countryside that looks exactly like you think West Texas should - think Giant, No Country for Old Men, Bonnie & Clyde. Marathon is a stretch of about two blocks on one street, but it is home to The Gage Hotel, which is wonderful - it was built in the 1920s but fully restored just a few years ago. The entire decor is very cowboy-chic, with saddles placed strategically around, animal skulls on the wall. I am loving it ... though the girls were skeptical. (I can even handle the fact that we have no private bath; I'm a sucker for a historic location.) But they're loving it now.

Tomorrow we head to Big Band National Park - the photos we've seen are lovely, so we are looking forward to it.

No comments: