Saturday, March 15, 2008

Three dresses x three girls = Frustration

On my list of things to do today was dress shopping.

Not for me. For the girls.

This summer, my in-laws will celebrate their 50th anniversary with a party. So the girls need something to wear. And let's face it, we're not the dressiest people. (Well, I am, but we're talking about my girls.) We live in Texas, where "dressy" means khakis and golf shirt for men, capris with heels for women. Panty hose are declassé - thank goodness - and my girls are seriously lacking in anything other than school clothes. Which, most of the time, doesn't matter - even for church, jeans are considered acceptable.

But not for this event. And I figured since it was the week before Easter, we would get something that would pull double duty.

And we would not be shopping at Hollister, Abercrombie, or American Eagle.

Alison was more than willing. She actually does own several dresses and skirts and is happy to wear them (on the days when she isn't wearing jeans, T-shirt, and Chuck Taylors). But as this little soirée will be to honor her grandparents, and will be in mid-Missouri (actually, eastern Missouri, but mid-Missouri just sounds more provincial), then I have veto power over what is acceptable. Nothing over the top or garish, I told her.

What do you mean? Alison asked. Trust me, I said; I'll know it when I see it.

No, she said. What do those words mean?!!

Garish: obtrusively bright and showy; lurid


I needn't have worried. When we entered the mall and headed toward the juniors, Alison gravitated immediately toward dresses that were entirely appropriate. And very cute - she found several right away. We put two on hold, then headed up to the girls' section, where Sylvia, too, had good luck.

Poor Maddie. She's the tough one. She is 13, thin as a rail, but tall. She is too small for most of the juniors, but too short for a size 12, too small for a 14. And most of the dresses in 12-14 really are too juvenile for her - they make her look like a little girl.

We hit every store in the mall. And I do mean every store. At one store, we found the perfect dress. But they had only one left, and the zipper tab was broken in half - we could not get the zipper to lie down, lock in place, and stay up. And as the dress was strapless, this was of major concern

On we foraged ... every dress she saw had some issue. Wrong color. Wrong style. Little jewels. Bow at waist. Bow on neck. Too many pleats on skirt.

(I know, I know - trust me, I was forcing myself to remain calm.)

Thank goodness for Dillard's. Thank goodness for small junior sizes. We - she - found the perfect dress. As did Sylvia - she opted out of the Macy's dress and chose instead a classy little Jessica McClintock number - ! - which was darling, but wow, pricey.

But I was too weak to argue. What's the difference - she can have an expensive dress. No, it will never be handed down. No, no other daughter of ours will ever wear it. But she loves it. And shouldn't every girl get the dress of her dreams on occasion?

All in all, success, including shoes for Maddie and Sylvia. Maddie would like a shrug to go with hers (which I think I can handle), and Alison needs shoes.

And I even managed to find a dress and two pair of sandals. Not for the anniversary party, just because ... because I dragged three girls around the mall for three hours. That is deserving of a reward. Trust me.

But they do look cute. And they're happy. And that alone is worth the time, and money, spent.

No comments: