Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Breathtaking

The wind blows hard in west Texas.

It shrieks and it wails, pounding in full gale force power. It blew so hard Monday night that I barely slept. We have an outside room on the second story, and I heard the glass in our 75-year-old windows shaking the entire night; I half expected to feel the walls of the hotel quaking. It was during one of my many waking moments that I realized why the ear plugs were included in our hospitality basket.

It turned out to be a fluke - the gusting winds were a one-night storm. But they made for a chilly, rainy Tuesday. We drove to Big Bend anyway, figuring that a little cold and rain wouldn't ruin the views.

Truer words were never spoken. The park was - is - magnificent; the views are phenomenal. We drove through, stopping here and there to check out canyons and vistas. It's a not a National Park that gets a lot of press - not like Yellowstone or the Grand Canyon or Bryce Canyon. But it is really stunning. Our favorite spot was at Canyon Santa Elena, where you are actually at the Rio Grande. We hiked back into the canyon, where the sheer rock walls climb up a steep 500 feet from the river.

We ate lunch at the lodge up in the mountains, the three glass walls exposing us to a breathtaking view of the mountain pass, including the snow. The girls, who had been somewhat lukewarm on this trip, all agreed that the views were breathtaking. Much of the day was spent just driving, enjoying the park, feeling close to nature.

This is why we need to protect the environment, to make sure places like these national parks are preserved for future generations.

Today we drove to Fort Davis. On the way we visited a small ranch where you can collect souvenir rocks. I had a book with me - I'm not too into collecting buckets full of rocks. Lunch was at the drugstore in Fort Davis (the town), which was fun, as the girls got to order actual fountain-made vanilla cokes and cherry Dr. Peppers. Then we headed over to take a trail ride - once again, I pulled out my book - it's my vacation, too, and I'd rather read a book than ride a horse. Checked out the Davis Observatory, then went to the actual Fort Davis, which, apparently, is the best preserved of the old cavalry forts in west Texas. It was home to the first all-black regiment (Buffalo soldiers, they were called). So we crammed the requisite history lesson into our girls' vacation ...

We've arrived at the most important part of our day: the hour when we commandeer the television lounge at the Gage so we can catch American Idol results. We want to see Kristy Lee Cook go (cheater girl), but we'll see what happens. We love David Cook (Emo), Jason Castro (Dreads), and Syesha. I like Chikezie, don't mind Michael Johns and Brooke (Two-Shoes). I'm lukewarm on Carly (Tattoo) and David Archuleta (Kid); Ramiele has become boring. Cannot stand Amanda (Nurse Wretched). Wonder if we'll be disappointed.

I had a little accident in my suitcase - as Sylvia put it, it looked as if something "blew up." Luckily, no casualties. I have this sort of stuff happen on occasion when I fly - and you'd think I would know by know how to prevent these calamities - but driving? Such a pain. As I said, no real loss.

Tomorrow we spend a little more time here in Big Bend Country before hitting the beach in Corpus - the beach! I cannot wait.

No comments: