Saturday, January 03, 2009

Shopping

Once upon a time, I used to get the catalogs from Coldwater Creek and J Jill. I used to flip through them, thinking the clothes were stylish and attractive, and I even imagined myself pulling out the credit card and ordering a thing or two.

I never did it. Mostly because I don't order out of catalogs much - I prefer to see things and try them on. But I always thought the clothes were nice.

Imagine my surprise when, today, I wandered into both of these stores. Our favorite mall in Indy has both of these stores, so I thought I should have a look, see if those post-Christmas sales had anything to offer.

I did. They didn't.

(I know - second trip to Indianapolis in two days? The girls had Christmas money to spend, and our mall here is disappointing (read: no abercrombie. Abercrombie & Fitch, yes, but that's not what the younger two like). Though Alison decided she'd rather shop at Hollister, which was not available at this particular mall. This is what I get for having daughters with my taste.)

I was stunned at the clothes I saw. They were pricey. But more importantly, they were ugly. And old. I saw a perfectly hideous blouse in J Jill - it was made of four semi-coordinating fabrics with an eyelet-like appearance in pastels, and it retailed for $149. And it wasn't even marked down. Who would wear such a thing? I had to drag Maddie back in just to see it.

Coldwater Creek was worse - pricey items, lots of jackets and sweaters in oddly bold colors. And I'm fairly certain I was the only woman in there still menstruating.

And I haven't even gotten to the worst part yet: Chico. I had never heard of this store - and the mannequins in the window, clad in their matching tank tops with open blouses, should have tipped me off. But no, I had to go in and look. The clothing featured the same shocking colors and embroidery. But the sizes were such that I didn't understand them. 0? 1? 2? We finally figured those must indicate the number of decades past 50 you are.

Needless to say, I did not make any purchases. (And my husband dared to suggest that some of the pants looked OK - since when do I wear plum-colored corduroys?)

Lest you wonder what lures me to this mall, let me assure you, it does have good stuff: Brooks Brothers. Ann Taylor. Banana Republic. Apple. Crate & Barrel and Pottery Barn (where we researched sofas). Restoration Hardware. Nordstrom's.

I considered a jacket in Ann Taylor, and finally deemed it too expensive. And then found the perfect dress in Banana Republic. Scored quite a bargain.

And the girls? They hit the mother load at abercrombie, then ventured out to Limited Too/Justice and Pink.

Our sad little mall is yet another of the downsides to living in a smallish city. But I can deal. I save money, and it makes the trip to Indianapolis just that much more exciting.

Which I am already planning. This time, without the girls. Or the husband. It's better that way - trust me.

2 comments:

Gale said...

God, we went to the Tipp. Mall last night and found NOTHING to buy. Everything is just hideous, or for the spring. WTF? Spring clothes now when we have at least 2 more months of winter?
Glad at least your kids were able to score some stuff today.
We went to the Gay and Lesbian bookstore before going to "Milk" and spent some money to support the cause. Made me feel good.

Anonymous said...

I used to get the J. Jill and Coldwater Creek catalogs and think the same thing as you. However, the reality is that they are all butt-ugly. I have a friend who buys stuff at J. Jill and actually looks cute in them, but I can't see the appeal. And Chico's is just the same thing encrusted with rhinestones, sequins and applique. Ick. Thank goodness you can cleanse your palate with some better stores like Nordstrom!