Wednesday, January 28, 2009

First Fashion

Michelle Obama is a smart woman. Very smart - Princeton, Harvard Law.

So why are we reducing her to her fashion sense?

I hate to be this way - it's the 21st century, and we should be moving beyond judging women based on what they wear.

But we have to face facts: Clothing does say something about who we are. You wouldn't show up at a job interview in shorts, and you wouldn't wear a tux to a backyard BBQ.

In general, First Ladies have looked lovely at their husbands' inaugurations. I recall Hillary Clinton and Laura Bush both being criticized for what they wore, and it seems a little petty. These women are not fashion models. And what they wore looked fine - perfectly appropriate. Their ball gowns were tasteful, if not necessarily my style.

The only gown I can think of that I didn't like was Nancy Reagan's first one - the off-the-shoulder look was not only unflattering, but much too youthful, I thought, for someone of her age. I thought Laura Bush chose something much more dignified - and she got a lot of flack for it.

(Don't get me wrong - I have my issues with Mrs. Bush. But her clothing is not something I have a problem with.)

I like Michelle Obama for any number of reasons. And I'll go ahead and include the way she dresses. She wears some pricey pieces, and for others, she spends what I might spend - I love the black and white dress she wore on The View, though I'm not sure I'd call it a "bargain" at $150 - I'm not sure your average working woman would find that affordable. I like that she frequents J Crew, and I like that she makes a fashion statement that is a little more youthful. I'm not always a big fan of the print dresses she chooses, though I like some, but I do like that she doesn't always wear heels.

For the inaugural festivities, I thought she looked fantastic. I really liked the ensemble she wore to the concert on Sunday - that was a winner. It was such an appropriate, classy look, that it left me wondering what she would wear on the big day.



I admit, when I first saw the sparkly gold sheath, I was not certain. But after a second glance, I became a fan. I liked the color, and the style is very flattering on her. I also liked the touch of the green shoes and gloves.



(Last year, I bought a sparkly coat of my own, to wear to a formal event. The saleswoman told me I could wear it anytime - the sparkly look is "in" for daywear. I repeated this to Carol and Kitty at the inauguration party we attended, in defense of Michelle as we were making up our minds. They both said they were fairly sure the saleswoman had pulled a number on me. Doesn't matter - I have yet to wear it during the day. But I can now pull out Michelle as my role model when I do.)

So after scoring on her daytime choice, I was anxious to see what the would wear for the balls. And I have to say, I was a little disappointed.



I like that she chose a little-known designer, 26-year-old Jason Wu. I like that she did not spend a fortune ($1500 - once again, not a bargain for your average American, for in the world of high fashion, a steal).

For me, it was a little too "girly." The train was too long (he stepped on it while dancing) and a little too "romantic" and phooey looking. I would have chosen for her something a little more fitted, a little bolder color, a bit more sophisticated. However, this isn't the Oscars. I am glad that she did not wear black.

Mostly, I am glad that is clearly being her own person. She looks fantastic, and the girls are cute as can be. She is a different kind of First Lady, and I am so glad we have her in the White House for the next four years.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Naturally, I have to chime in on this post. First, I do agree that we should not reduce our First Ladies to what they wear. Michelle is a strong, smart woman and is much more than her wardrobe. I think the fascination is that she's a young, attractive woman who has a good fashion sense so we tend to look at what she wears rather than what she says. Like you, at first I was not a fan of the ensemble she wore for the swearing in ceremony. Heavy lace (especially when lined in pashmina wool) is not flattering to most body types. However, I thought she looked wonderful and I loved the color and the shoes/gloves accents. I think she chose something very smart as the color made it easy to see her. Plus, the coat was warm enough for a chilly day.

Now on to the ball gown. I was not impressed. I thought it did nothing for her figure. The heavy gathering at her actual waist made her look thick and hippy. I did not catch the crystal embellishments and, when I saw a close-up of the gown, I thought they looked fussy and a bit silly. The color was gorgeous with her dark skin, but it was not my favorite look on her. I think she's better in something simple and tailored. I agree that something more fitted and in a bolder color would have been a better choice.

Bottom line is I'm just glad she's in the White House now I don't care what/who she's wearing!