Friday, January 02, 2009

One down ...

We took a little road trip tonight - we traveled south on I-65 to the art cinema at Keystone in Indianapolis, the nearest place that is currently screening Slumdog Millionaire.

Excellent flick. Just excellent. It was toss-up between that and Milk. Milk is still on the list. Which also includes Doubt, Revolutionary Road, Gran Torino, The Reader, Frost/Nixon, and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Not necessarily in that order.

There is one thing about Houston I miss: the availability of limited release films. The River Oaks Theater was just over 30 minutes from us, and we could be guaranteed to find whatever we wanted to see. Here in medium-sized midwestern town/small city, I can find Twilight and Four Christmases, but none of the independent films we prefer.

This is what I get for trading in the rat race. But it's OK - now I will drive 60 miles to watch a movie about the drudgery of life in the suburbs, rather than living the experience day after day.

It's totally worth the trade-off.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We saw Slumdog last weekend in Phoenix although it's currently playing an extended engagement in Springfield. One of the best movies I've seen in a long time and it deserves all the accolades it's getting.

Cindy said...

It was great - we loved it. Totally worth the two-hour drive. Or at least that's what I'm telling myself.