Saturday, January 17, 2009

Happy Birthday, Gary

Happy Birthday, Gary!

I am - for once - at a loss for words. How do I tell someone who means this much to me to merely "have a terrific birthday"?

I am not even sure where to begin.

When I was in college, my father jokingly gave me the rundown on whom not to date: Don't date pre-med students, but only those who have been accepted into med school. No pre-law students - they're a dime a dozen. No teachers or liberal arts majors; no engineers, as the jobs are too high stress.

He then was serious with this advice: Look for someone with good character, he told me. The rest will fall into place.

He was absolutely right. I fell in love with the man with good character. And it has paid off - I have a husband who treats me well and is good with our girls. He has an excellent job, does not spend money foolishly, and makes good decisions related to our finances. He is honest and caring. And he is a great father, which is worth mentioning twice. He is handy around the house; he likes to watch sports but also likes to watch foreign films with me. He likes to fish and bike, but he also loves to visit museums or see Broadway shows with me.

In other words, he is perfect for me. Even if I do have to pick up his dirty clothes off the floor. Several times a week. It's a small price to pay.

Happy Birthday. And just remember: I'll always be younger than you.

No comments: