Sunday, October 19, 2008

Weekend Update

I'm loving fall.

Loving it so much that I am turning into a very bad blogger. Ah, well - as I've mentioned before, I am just finding too much other fun stuff with which to fill my time - the blog has taken a back seat.

It has turned cooler - and I am pleased. Last night we made a fire in the back yard firepit, which was very enjoyable. While Gary and Jeff watched Missouri get its ass kicked by Texas, JoAnn, Syivia and I sat in the backyard toasting marshmallows and eating smores. Mmmmm. We were even nice enough to take smores inside to our menfolks - aren't we thoughtful?

Cool weather, football, sweaters, Halloween decorations, apples (more mmmmm) - it's everything I love about fall and really missed while we lived in Houston.

Friday night we went to a Circle Supper - oops, new name, Shared Hearth Dinner - at church. They are small gatherings in people's homes. We went to one hosted by a couple we know and attended by one family we know and another we didn't. Very enjoyable. The host couple has two sons, boys who were somewhere between hellions and just not very charming when they were younger.

The boys are now tenth and sixth-graders. And just the nicest kids - the elder one is not only nice looking but very polite and just pleasant to be around; the younger one has completely outgrown his obnoxious streak and is a nice kid. I have not doubt about how smart these boys are (I know the parents). The mother is very, very shy, a trait I used to mistake for being slightly aloof. But she has been just so nice to me lately. Anyway, dinner was very nice.

Yesterday we went to Sylvia's soccer game (she lost), and I spent part of my afternoon nursing my headache while watching Andy Warhol on American Masters. Then last night we watched the game after having JoAnn and Jeff join us for dinner

Today was congregational meeting at church - I love my church, love the people (well, most of them - you know how it is), but wow ... our meetings drag on for-ev-er. We are big believers in the Democratic process and listening to voices of dissent. Which we do. But I catch myself looking at my watch from time to time, I must admit.

I have become fully entrenched in church activities - I am on two committees and considering a third. Welcome back!

All right. Off to the hardware store - finishing bathroom touches.

No comments: