Wednesday, October 22, 2008

More signs of fall .... and a little kid bragging (take note)

The leaves are turning, and they are beautiful!

I know this because I had to drive to my daughter's school this morning to drop off the assignment she forgot. In fairness, she forgot it because I had to restart the computer when we were trying to print. I sent her off to bed and told her I'd have her print in the morning. So we both just spaced it this morning.

We live just a few blocks from the country club, so driving past the golf course and all the trees is so pretty right now, a blend of blazing orange, deep gold, and crimson.

Fall. Throw in the election signs and the parent/teacher conference (along with nippy mornings), and you know fall is here. Houston, I miss you not.

Today we have conferences for both Maddie and Sylvia. Both girls are doing well. This is not a surprise to me - they are bright girls. I can say this without bragging - it is a fact. And they have a very smart father. But I am especially proud of Sylvia.

She was moved this year into the Challenge class. They make a big show of Challenge here - it is the gifted/talented class, where we didn't send the older two (a decision I may slightly regret - but what's done is done). I've been told multiple timss just how hard it is, how the kids will not make straight A's, how overwhelming it can be. (See why I didn't send the others? If you factor in the arrogance of the administrators, you have more than one might be able to handle.) So I was prepared for Sylvia to struggle a bit. Which was OK - she really is a kid who will take the path of least resistance (what kid wouldn't?).

We had a little homework issue a few weeks ago. We sorted it out, but I warned her that this could not happen again. It has not. And the other day she mentioned that she had made the honor roll. This is not a huge surprise - all my girls have always made the honor roll.

So today I was at the school, so I looked at the wall outside the classroom. First of all, some assignments were posted. With grades. I knew Sylvia had done well, but wow - she did really well, comparatively. Not that I am comparing her to other kids, just noting that she had one of the highest scores (other kids got perfect scores as well, but lots and lots of kids did not). And I saw the honor roll posted - only about 10 kids are on it.

So, way to go, Sylvia! I thought this might be a very tough year for her, but she is keeping up, doing well. And she is definitely where she belongs. She likes her teacher (we talked about it this morning while waiting for the bus) and has made several friends. I am so pleased she is doing well.

I am pleased that all three girls are good students; they will be well prepared to go great things in life. They are great kids - I'm lucky they are part of our lives.

No comments: