Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Inspiration

Out of curiosity, I tuned in to watch Barack Obama's 30-minute television ad tonight. I chose CBS, though I believe it ran on about five other networks.

Whether he runs it is pretty much beside the point as far as I'm concerned. Republicans and those who do not support Obama will criticize him for doing it, criticize its content. But I figure it's his right - he has the money, and those who aren't interested can turn the channel or turn the television off. Plus, if McCain had the money, he'd be doing it, too.

Frankly, most of it was just OK. He talked to families around the country who have financial problems, job concerns. He talked about his mother, his background, his children, his life. It was nothing I hadn't heard before - and I was busy with other things, so I didn't pay that much attention.

Until the end. The part where he spoke live, from Florida. And that part was inspiring. Truly amazing.

Obama is a brilliant man. He grew up without money, a middle-class, average existence, and this is what he has become. He managed to attend the best schools and he has really made something of himself. He is incredibly charismatic, very gifted, and he is using his talents to try to make the United States a better place. When he speaks of the rest of us helping one another, trying to do the right thing, I know he is the person I want leading this country.

I don't for a moment think John McCain is a bad person, but I am concerned about the way he has abandoned his principles out of blind ambition. I am bothered by his lack of judgment in choosing an unqualified running mate (and for those who just *love* her, I would like to know if you seriously think she is capable of leading this country). I - and apparently most of the country - simply do not think he is what the United States needs at this time.

(And on a side note, I am hardly alone there - a contingent of noted conservatives, including David Brooks, George Will, Kathleen Parker, and David Frum, have all spoken out about Sarah Palin's anti-intellectual leanings and the dangers they see in her. Should McCain lose, there will be a battle for identity of the GOP, and many are concerned about Palin trying to grasp a leadership role.)

Obama's speech tonight, although short, moved me, once again. He's an inspiring leader, and I'm refiguring my Sunday to see if I can find time to get out and knock on doors, convince voters to get out there and support this candidate.

It's an exciting time to be an American. I am so pleased that my children get to see this - and I'm looking for good things to happen.

No comments: