Friday, October 10, 2008

Little bits, busy bits

I polished my toenails today. Yesterday I cleaned the bathroom.

Really, these are things that one ordinarily need not mention. But I call them to light because they are emblematic of how my life is going at the moment.

Noting the bathroom cleaning is significant in that we are currently living in what I hope will be a temporary phase: the days of no cleaning.

Because with construction through the end of the year, what's the point? I dusted our bedroom last weekend because it was just horrifically dusty. And today, I looked, and the nightstands are one again just covered.

This is a by-product of new drywall. And it's unavoidable.

And more importantly, it makes me feel that cleaning is pointless. I am ignoring the carpet, wearing slippers at all times, knowing that I will simply pull it out when this is all over.

(We are not total slobs. We clean the kitchen and we do laundry. I even vacuum. I'm just not too orderly and tidy these days. And I am certainly not going to pay a housekeeper to essentially rearrange the dust on a bi-weekly basis.)

And on to other things ... I polished my toenails today. Which is notable for a couple of reasons.

First of all, it is really warm here. It is that late-summer/early fall weather, very warm during the day and cool, cold, in the evenings. I can snuggle up at night, wake up to cool mornings, but enjoy very pleasant afternoons. Thus the sandals are not done for the year.

My old polish was chipping dreadfully. I've ignored it, wearing closed-toe shoes when needed. But I could avoid it no longer. And I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I have no polished my own toenails in some time, opting instead for professional pedicures.

But right now? I am much too busy to sit for 45 minutes at the nail salon. I could make time if really necessary, but frankly, my life is much too full to sacrifice the time.

It's a small thing, but a good thing.

Now, must run to the 7th-8th-grade music/dinner evening at the junior high. Chicken & noodles, music, and friends.

Fun times indeed.

No comments: