Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Random

I am deeply affected by my environment.

In other words, my life is like my house: Cluttered. Distracted. Disorganized.

But happy, none the less. Kids don't need order and cleanliness to be happy. Gary and I don't need a clean and tidy house after all.

But we want one. Badly. I am getting so little done - it is truly mortifying. I will spare you the long list of what I am not accomplishing these days.

The bathroom is almost done. ALMOST. We need one or two tiny details finished, then we're done. DONE! I'll post picture when - if - it happens. I'm feeling optimistic that the inspector will come this very week.

*****

It's raining here; raining and pouring. I like a rainy night. I can curl up and watch the debate on television. Sounds perfect.

*****

Went to a Democratic social last night - just a little happy hour sort of event. Walt told me how lovely I looked. Which I repeated to Gary, who could only say, Just how old is Walt? 90?

Wow, Gary - nice. Nice way to let me know that you, too, find your wife attractive. Nice way to say, Yes, I noticed how nice you looked, what a stunning outfit you were wearing. Nice to way to note that you were proud to be there with me (even though we did not arrive or leave together - he had a dinner at work, so we were technically separate). Nice way to feed my (evidently needy) ego, my vanity (oh, there's definitely a level of vanity here).

And for the record, Walt is only 80, not 90. And his wife, Emma, is a lovely woman. Not some little old lady, but a strong woman. A great couple, still active, still writing letters to the editor, very involved in local politics.

And they still have an eye for fashion.

*****

I've listed our old washer and dryer on Craigslist. The ad read something like this: "GE Hotpoint washer and gas dryer, circa 1990, top-loading washer, cycles blahblahblah, almond color ... " You get the idea.

Got an inquiry: How old is it?

Well let's see ... if we subtract 1990 from 2008 ...

She probably read it quickly and didn't notice the year. I should not be so snippy. And in my reply, I was not.

I am finding the responses ... well, we'll say "interesting," shall we, rather than "galling" or "nervy." I am asking $75 for a side-by-side refrigerator/freezer with an icemaker and ice/water in the door, $75 for a washer and dryer. And people want to haggle. I am always stunned at how people want to bargain.

I'm just not a bargainer - I hate trying to make a deal. Just name your price - a fair price - and I'll pay it. I hate, hate, hate having to guess how low I can go without being insulting. With houses, I hate hearing "This is your best offer - don't be greedy" when we're selling while simultaneously hearing "Don't insult them by offering too little." We made one low offer on a house this last time; I guess they were "offended," because they countered back at nearly the asking price.

We refused and moved on; they've had no offers since and the house is still for sale. They've lowered the price another $25,000. Good luck - I think they got their best offer out of us.

*****

JoAnn and I made plans to go to the WL farmers market ... then it rained. Sad. Another day, perhaps. Except that there are not a lot of other days for the farmers market. Next year?

Time to fly -

No comments: