Wednesday, October 29, 2008

From errands to work to business casual - all in one post

Today was a day of running errands.

Not my favorite thing to do - I'd much rather be home, spending my day leisurely doing what I want to do. But today, I had to get out, take care of some miscellany. Yesterday it was groceries; today, I think I hit everywhere else in town:

• Staples, where I purchased a replacement ink-jet cartridge (magenta) so that we can print in color once again. Plus I picked up an added detail for my Halloween costume - something I can actually use later (how cryptic can I be??).
• Bed, Bath & Beyond, where I returned an item that I picked up last week - a whole $3.20 will be credited to my VISA.
• TJ Maxx, where I returned two sweaters I picked up and decided I don't like - $42.78 back on the card.
• Brief stop at Camille's, where I met Gary for lunch, since he didn't come home tonight.
• Target, where I returned the extension cord that did not work with my outdoor Halloween lights - $6.41 credit. I then proceeded to spend an additional $40 when I purchased paper for a bulletin board I'm helping with tomorrow at church and Halloween candy.

My last stop - but perhaps the most important - was City Hall, where I picked up our building permit. Talk about a mirthless crew - that office was about the most joy-free spot I've seen in a while. Those people are sullen.

Which led me to reevaluate my need - or shall I say, desire - to go back to work. I have finally come to the conclusion that I am going to wait for just the right job. I am not going to stress about work. I really haven't been, anyway. I've sent off a few resumés, even had a couple interviews. And the one interview I had felt so stifling - I am not going to spend my days locked in an office without windows doing a job I am not crazy about just for money. Lucky for me, I have that option. But while I still have children at home, I am going to hold out for my dream job. Life's too short for anything else.

Gary is home from his evening at Purdue - a Cat VP was speaking, preceded by a reception. The invitation said "business casual" - which, apparently, meant suits or ties - Gary and one other guy were the only two without jackets. The other guy wore a polo and khakis - which, to me, is truly the definition of business casual. Gary ran into the guy who lives behind us - he was formerly the principal of the neighborhood grade school and now works for the Purdue Credit Union, a sponsor of the lecture. He also talked to our state representative, who is also our neighbor. She was wondering which house we live in now, and when she finally figured it out, she realized we have several Democratic signs in out yard. She asked Gary if we would put out a sign for her - well, sure, he said, but it seems kind of unnecessary - she is running unopposed! Well, yes, she admitted, others need the help more - !

I should also not my fascinating meeting last night at Planned Parenthood, where I met with the newly forming community action board, and ran into, again, my new best friend, LC. LC is from a fairly prominent local family, and after playing Mah Jongg with her, I now see her all over the place. We are apparently now friends - and I think she likes me. I've mentioned her before - she is a formidable woman, kind of scary. She is also very well-connected. And I am kidding - I know she likes me, as she extended a personal invitation for me to attend the Temple's art auction next month - and I think I probably will.

So, on tomorrow's agenda? Helping on the bulletin board. And nothing else.

No comments: