Sunday, October 05, 2008

Catch Up

Whew.

All I can say is, I obviously have plenty of things to do that are a lot more interesting than blogging. But I still enjoy the blog. I like to swap thoughts with friends, ruminate on my half-baked theories (of which there are many), and wax poetic (or not) on any number of other thoughts; you know, whatever bounces through my head.

Movie I want to see: Religulous. Love Bill Maher, love heavy satire/sardonic films. Can't wait. Wonder if we'll need to drive to Indy.

(Films and shopping are two of the things I actually do miss about life in the greater Houston metropolitan area. The trade-off, however, is so worth it.

Movie I won't be seeing: Nights in Rodanthe. I really love Unfaithful with Diane Lane and Richard Gere; the film was shot beautifully, and the writing was very good. Plus it featured Olivier Martinez, who made the movie totally watchable. Quite liked it, even if some found the outcome to be morally ambiguous. (Me, I'm not so hung up on morality in my films - frankly the term "morality" is relative.)

Anyway. I'm not sure another pairing of Gere and Lane is really necessary. Plus it is based on a book by Nicholas Sparks. Whom I may hate even more than Mitch Albom. Those books are manufactured sentimentality. I slaved my way through The Notebook and swore to never again be duped by such cloying nonsense.

What I did not do this weekend: Painting, organizing, tidying, reading ... you know, a bunch of stuff I should have gotten done.

What I did do: Jeff HS homecoming game Friday night, then church retreat all day yesterday. Much fun. Stayed way too late, hanging out with the music-playing folk, singing along. It was folk/traditional music, the way my dad and brother used to play. I wish they had been there. I was up way, way too late. And after that much communing with nature and fellow UUs, I figured I did not need to be back at the camp for the service this morning. Gary and Alison went (they were on clean-up detail anyway). I slept in, did laundry, and felt spiritual in my own way.

These are the side benefits of being UU - no guilt.

Watched This Week with George Stephanopolous today, which was good, as usual. He had George Will, some woman from Time, another man and woman I didn't know. They were pretty much in agreement: Unless Obama really screws up, the race is his.

I wouldn't recommend feeling too confident. There are four weeks left - anything could happen. Frankly, the race should be further apart right now. And it's not. Too early to predict anything for sure.

But I did love this:

2 comments:

Gale said...

We want to see Bill Maher's film too. Should be here in the next couple of weeks--I am optimistic.

Cindy said...

I hope so - when you hear, let me know.